Ameritron AL-811 - no power out - What am I missing?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by N0AKF, Mar 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. N0AKF

N0AKF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well my Al-811 arrived today. I hooked it up to my Kenwood TS-590s. Everything is hooked up correctly - radio to amp then to the tuner and then to antenna. I am using a Kenwood alc/relay cable - ALC is unhooked as per the Ameritron instructions. So I turn off my internal tuner, output power of radio set to (20-60 watts - tried different power levels), Menu 53 set to 2 and tried 3. Tuner is an MFJ989D.

So when radio is in "standby" I can tune up the radio to a 1:1 swr and receeive just fine. Power output is indicated on the meter and is real close to what the radio is set at. Now, when I want to use the amp, I check the chart that is in the instructions for load and plate settings and set accordingly.

My volt meter on the amp shows 1700 volts. Grid shows 0. When I switch to "operate" mode, while in cw mode (as per instructions), key the radio - the red TX light lights up and the Grid Meter goes from 0 to 20ma. My swr/power meter show no movement and the swr meter in my radio is high. Adjust the load/plate or radio power has no bearing on the amp. I go back to "stand by" and have full power output. Any idea what I am missing here? Oh and radio is set to the appropriate antenna port. Thanks for any help!

2. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Is this a brand new amp? A high swr shown on the radio when transmitting into the amp indicates there is something going on with the input. Are you sure you have the coax connections correct? Radio to RF input, antenna to RF output on the amp? Maybe a jumper giving out under RF conditions?

3. N0AKF

It is a used amp bought from a dealer. I tried different cables to be sure. They are all brand new quality cables. Stand by mode all works good tx and receive. Starting at the radio the coax goes from "Antenna 1" to "RF IN on amp. From Amp "RF out" to "transmitter" on tuner. On the tuner "Caox 1" to the antenna outside. Thanks for the help!

4. N0AKF

I forgot to mention the Plate Current meters shows "0"

5. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you doing all of this on 10m?

6. KB0VYA

KB0VYA Ham Member QRZ Page

you can call me at 314-971-9262 or send me your number i'll call you, name here is Jerry

7. N0AKF

I have tried it on 40, 17 and 10. It has the 10/12 mod done to it.

8. N0AKF

THANK YOU! I am at work until late tonight. When is a good time to call tomorrow?

9. KB0VYA

KB0VYA Ham Member QRZ Page

after 5PM central time

10. N0AKF

I will shoot ya an email tomorrow and see if your free - THANKS! I have been doing a lot of reading and watched the Ameritron videos and it seems I am doing everything like I should. But I am hoping I am just overlooking something :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.