ad: Schulman-1

American satellite starts transmitting after being abandoned in 1967

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AC0OB, Jun 16, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/february2013/radio_archeology.htm#.VmcZtriLTIU

"An American satellite, abandoned in 1967 as a piece of Space Junk has begun transmitting again after 46 years.

An Amateur Radio Astronomer in North Cornwall accidentally picked up the signal and after cross checking with various lists, has identified it as LES1built by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and launched in 1965. The satellite failed to reach its intended orbit owing to a wiring error and has been drifting out of control ever since."

Phil
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
    Besides, when you're a Ham, you experiment with and improve boat anchors - that's what you do!. [​IMG]

WM9F, AJ4EM and KC9UDX like this.
  2. K7FLE

K7FLE Ham Member QRZ Page

2o13. Still cool.

KF7PCL and KC9UDX like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

"found the problem. Cold solder joints. My back is killing me. Damn it's small in here. I'm hungry. Wait.... hello? HELLO? WTF? GET ME OUTTA HERE... HELLO HELLO??? THIS ISN'T FUNNY GUYS"

The recording stops shortly thereafter.... :(

:rolleyes:

Dave
    W7UUU

K3RW, AF6LJ and W4YEM like this.
  4. K7FLE

K7FLE Ham Member QRZ Page

"I'm sorry Dave.."

(watching that on 70mm soon)

W6ORV and N2ICZ like this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Oh, those damned POD BAY DOORS!!! If there were one thing I wish I could have left off the ship.... !! :D:D

Dave
    W7UUU

PS - wait, an ACTUAL 70mm ANALOG theater??? !!!

AF6LJ likes this.
  6. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

Not HAL. It's V...ger. Looking for The Kirk.

7. AB4OJ/SK2024

AB4OJ/SK2024 Ham Member QRZ Page

It was the Muugoids again!

8. KE0RG

KE0RG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We abandoned it. Our new alien overlords adopted it, taught it how to send out hidden mind controlling signals... and have been using it to enslave us for decades!!!

Hmmm... if that were true, it would explain a great many things. :p

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  9. W4YEM

W4YEM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Remember, tinfoil hats still play an important role in non-inverted V antennas :D

KE0RG likes this.
  10. KJ6ZOL

KJ6ZOL Ham Member QRZ Page

No, that was the Evil Space Probe in the original Star Trek series. You know the one, it looked like a water heater on legs and went around doing nasty stuff like erasing Uhuru's mind. Spock determined that it had somehow downloaded a program from an alien death star or something similar. It though Captain Kirk was it's creator, so it held off destroying the Enterprise. Kirk finally convinced it it had made three errors, and then Scotty beamed it out of the ship, where it said ERROR ERROR ERROR until it blew itself up.

11. KJ6ZOL

KJ6ZOL Ham Member QRZ Page

Just as long as it can communicate with the orcas, we'll be fine.

KE0RG likes this.
  12. KD9GLG

KD9GLG Ham Member QRZ Page

So long, and thanks for all the fish!~

W6ORV, KF2M, KV6O and 1 other person like this.
  13. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe the space probe in question was Nomad. I don't recall it transmitting on 237 MHz. IIRC, its software got slightly corrupted. It was supposed to seek out new life forms, but because of the software error, it thought it was supposed to destroy new life forms.

Edited to add: The software error only made it destroy imperfect life forms:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Changeling_(Star_Trek:_The_Original_Series)

14. WN2C

WN2C Ham Member QRZ Page

And it took you almost 3 and 1/2 years to find this 'news'? I was hoping to read about an update to this short story.
    Old news and I hope it it still going. It would make a good energizer bunny commercial.

15. W9JEF

W9JEF QRZ Lifetime Member #571 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Big Vulcan deal!
    [​IMG]