ad: UR5CDX-1

Amazon Alexa as a Shack Companion

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M0PSX, Nov 22, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

All mics and cameras are disabled on all of my computer devices. Cell phones are off outside of work hours.

Best I can do but it's better than bringing a device into my home that has the SOLE INTENT OF LISTENING TO ME ALL THE TIME like Alexa :)

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN, K8XG, N8ZI and 2 others like this.
  2. N6QIC

N6QIC Ham Member QRZ Page

Alexa, volume 10. Alexa, play who let the dogs out.

Now try to stop it, Alexa....., Alexa....., ALEXA..STOP...

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    N8ZI, K9ASE and W7UUU like this.
  3. K3KDB

K3KDB Ham Member QRZ Page

Dont play this video with Alexa listening.

4. W5JPT

W5JPT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have no fears. I asked Alexa "Who's the boss?" and she replied, "You are." Proof that she's not snooping on me. I'd fire her if she was.:p

5. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What if I say:

Hitler was a sociopath. Is "Hitler" a word that it's going to react to?

It sounded like a bomb went off. Is "bomb" a word that it's going to react to?

Sometimes I describe my cats behavior as terrorist. Is "terrorist" a word that it's going to react to?

What keeps it from taking certain buzz words innocently uttered out of context?

N8ZI and K9ASE like this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

"A very simplistic view" yet again :rolleyes:

Worry not - the Official Alexa Apologist will be along soon to correct you :)

Dave
    W7UUU

7. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Whether Alexa, or Google, or Siri - voice control is here, and will become more pervasive. It's very useful while driving - and can keep you legal in some states. "Hey Siri, call Joe at work", or "Ok Google, navigate to Home Depot" can keep your eyes on the road.

Voice control is not where the "money" is, however, I doubt hackers will be trying to exploit weaknesses to hear you in your car, house, etc., other than to show that it can be done. My concern is on others who hold my data - and loose it over, and over again.

You can fear everything, that that won't help mitigate risk. Knowledge will.

8. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Exactly. "Listening" (or getting keyword counts and such) to months of random sounds in your house to try to get something useful for criminal purposes is very inefficient. Compare that to dense, organized, sensitive information on millions of people contained everywhere in commercial and government databases.

Probably not anything to be concerned about. Unless you are expecting to be the target of a law enforcement wiretap, or have big enemies who would want to obtain compromising recordings, in which case you probably aren't here reading this anyway.

9. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Take 10 seconds with Google and get 505,000 results.

10. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

My privacy concern is when you're talking to your XYL about a bondage role play and the next morning an ad shows up in Facebook from Amazon with furry handcuffs for sale.

KN1M, N8ZI, VE7DXW and 1 other person like this.
  11. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

What's the 4th link down on the 7th page? Let's use that one as an example.

12. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I wonder what happens if you play this Billy Joel song on an Echo: The Downeaster 'Alexa'

13. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

THUMBS_UP_SMILEY_FACE.jpg

14. W5JPT

W5JPT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know. I've been using my Echo Dot and Amazon Tap for over a year and nobody has shown up to steal anything. None of my accounts have been hacked. There are no black helicopters circling overhead. My private conversations have never shown up and the "dark web". Maybe Alexa doesn't care what I do or say.

15. K5TRI

K5TRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In other words you got nothing. Yeah that's what I thought. Making bold accusations in a public forum and then failing to back your
    accusations up with facts doesn't make you look very smart. Just saying.