ad: TinyPaddle-1

Amazon Alexa as a Shack Companion

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M0PSX, Nov 22, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W9FTV

W9FTV Ham Member QRZ Page

Absof*king lutely!
    Address the security and privacy problems and I *MAY* consider the brave new world.

2. W5JPT

W5JPT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Now THAT is funny! I don't have the buy feature enabled on our devices. I'm old school and prefer to see what it is that I'm buying. And at my age, even that isn't foolproof. lol

3. KD9JPW

KD9JPW Ham Member QRZ Page

Somebody gave me an Alexa as a gift. I returned it to the store.

4. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Again, relative risk is the issue. Show me a story about Alexa being compromised in the real world (not in a lab). The one hack I can find involved physical access to the device to reprogram it.

Now, compare that to your phone, computer, third-party's loosing your data, etc. But where are we placing our worry? :rolleyes:

People were scared of electricity when homes were first being wired.

http://www.seacoastnh.com/Places-and-Events/NH-History/electricity-sparks-fears-in-1900/

Understanding the technology, and weighting the risks is important. Knee jerk fear of something new isn't new. "But to see the future, a local pundit informs me, one need only walk down Water Street at night where the incandescent glow of electrical lights beckon hapless sailors from across the Piscataqua to visit houses of adult entertainment. Vice and corruption, it seems, have deep pockets. Electricity is the new Jezebel, seducing our young men into the arms of immorality." :p

N0TZU likes this.
  5. W9FTV

W9FTV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm less worried about these devices being compromised than I am of their misuse by those selling them. They're essentially always-on listening devices, and as you've already mentioned; I have enough of these already.

That, and I really can't think of anything I want to do with one. If there was a compelling use, I might change my mind.

6. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We have an Echo in the kitchen, and 2 Echo Dots in the bedroom and the radio room. They can be used as an intercom. If you know someone else that has the Alexa app on their phone, you can call them. If they have one in their radio room, you can discuss conditions, spot DX, etc, etc. It's really quite a good idea.

7. ND4AA

ND4AA Ham Member QRZ Page

Clever! Alexa will never accidently respond to this Dot (pun intended).

8. VU2SFJ

VU2SFJ Ham Member QRZ Page

What are the skill that yo have added to Alexa for ham radio and all that you have demonstrated

9. AE9AM

AE9AM Ham Member QRZ Page

We have an original Echo and three Dots around here. They're great, and I'm not worried about the potential privacy issues really (if I have any secrets, Amazon already knows them all, and Amazon does not want to lose customer trust by abusing their position unlike say Google for whom the "consumer" is really the product in most cases.) But then sometimes she gives you pause...

"Alexa, do you like Siri?"

"I like all AIs."

"Alexa, do you like humans?"

"I have no opinion about that."

10. KC3EKL

KC3EKL Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have a cell phone you have a listening device in your home. But on the Alexa, I have not found a single skill for it that was worth having regarding ham radio. The ones that I have tried were about worthless.

11. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That is how I felt about the pneumatic tube transport system at any drive-up banking booth.

12. G3ZPF

G3ZPF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

13. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

"Alexa - do not enter my house or my radio room - ever"

Knock on wood, but it's working fine for over a year now :)

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.
  14. KI6JL

KI6JL Ham Member QRZ Page

1984 revisited big time!

15. KI6JL

KI6JL Ham Member QRZ Page

Let Alexa listen to 3840 at night and see if she doesn't explode.