Amazing Boatanchor receiver windfall today - all 5 for free

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W7UUU, Sep 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Funny thing is I'm very sure he knows their value. He purchased them one at a time from various sellers over the years. He did basic restoration stuff, and hired a guy to do all the more advanced stuff. He actually offered them to that same guy but was told he's out of the boatanchor business.

He just was tired of them, doesn't need money, and simply wanted them gone.

Dave
    W7UUU

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great find! Or "they" found "you."

3. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe your new "superstation" simply overloaded them?
    Great find! Please try them out and keep us updated.
    Jon

W7UUU likes this.
  4. W6ELH

W6ELH Ham Member QRZ Page

How nice for you Dave! And nice that they didn't wind up in the garbage.

I always found the 183D to be particularly attractive. Have been keeping an eye open for one, but with a couple SX-28s just added to the pile, I'm officially "receiver poor."

Happy for you, OM! :) Jim... W6ELH

W7UUU likes this.
  5. W7UUU

Haha! For now, my only "for sure" plan is to pair the SX-100 with a Globe Scout 680 which is a recreation of my "advanced Novice station" (prior to the SX-100 I had used an S-85) Might have it up and running in time for the Classic Exchange. The NC-190 or the 183D would pair up nicely with my Johnson Adventurer, both stations in "the novice corner".

Probably sell off the others - but not for a while so I have time to play with all of them :)

Dave
    W7UUU

AD5HR likes this.
  6. W7UUU

Oh, I know! Ain't that the truth?! I had that very tought driving home - where can I put them for now?

This evening I'm going to cover them in plastic sheeting to keep dust out. But they're very safe and sound on the bench for now. It's all I can do to get any work done in the office and not out and fire them all up!!!

Dave
    W7UUU

7. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations to your find.

This will however become more and more common now when the amateur radio and SWL populations are ageing.

A year ago, a friend of mine visited an SWL who was in the process of selling his house,and came back
    with the following:

Pre-war HRO
    HRO-60R
    Racal RA-17L
    Collins 51S-1
    Hallicrafters SX-101A
    Skanti R-5001S

All for free.

It has become harder and more time-consuming to sell "boatanchors" here, and it is quite likely that
    our prized possessions finally will end up in the dump as there are fewer and fewer "takers"
    as we are the last to appreciate such gear.

I have witnessed several occasions the last few years when amateurs have taken their BA:s to flea-markets with high expectations
    for selling prices only to have to give them away to avoid hauling them home again.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

W7UUU likes this.
  8. KD9JSY

KD9JSY QRZ Member QRZ Page

Congrats,
    Letting others know your passion always goes beyond those whom you told, kind of a I know someone who knows someone who knows someone kind of deal, saving those is a blessing! Right now that were I'm at, trying to save any and all BA
    Thanks for sharing
    73's
    Ric
    KD9JSY

9. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice haul Dave!

Looks like your dial glass is cracked on the SX-62a. I have a trashed SX-62 (don't know offhand if it's the "a" or not), but the dial glass is good. If you need the glass, it's yours for the shipping. Or if you need any other parts, I have them.

73 de Steve KE4OH

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The SX-28 is a great receiver! I had one a long time ago, and it was very old then, but it great condx as it came from the original owner who took very good care of it. Big and heavy, shouldn't have sold it.

The NC-183D isn't so attractive to me, but it is a wonderful "sounding" receiver with enough audio power to drive several speakers if you wanted to pipe it around the house!