ad: QSLWorks-1

AmateurLogic 102: Cheap Beacon, Fixing Stuff & Jansky

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5JDX, Mar 16, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W5JDX

W5JDX Ham Member QRZ Page

IX1FIT likes this.
  2. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

One thing I noticed is that the FM transmitter is on 144.295 which would put some of the modulation sidebands outside of the 144.300 upper limit for automatic control of a beacon. If the beacon is locally controlled, the frequency sub band doesn't matter, you can operate anywhere that FM is legal. But if automatically controlled, the FCC rules require that a beacon be within the 144.275 to 144.300 area. So, if it was on 144.290 it would be legal for automatic control.

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

reber.JPG It's hard to call Karl Jansky the 'father of radio astronomy'. Probably better to call him the discoverer of cosmic radio emissions.

Jansky did not follow through his initial observations and did not 'found' the field. This is not to deter from the significance of Jansky's discovery, only to ascribe the importance accurately.

Grote Reber, ex W9GFZ , OTOH, truly established the field by building equipment specifically for 'radio' astronomy; mapping the sky at UHF; and publishing results in the astronomical journals.

Jansky was the 'discoverer'; Reber was the 'father'.

The above picture set/qsl hangs in my office. I discovered Reber's QSL in a flea a number of years ago. Lucky!

I met him once...he was a bit peculiar and quite elderly. He passed in..oh...2003?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    W9AUV likes this.
  4. K4FMH

K4FMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Another great show. Don't get "good" at it...you don't polish brass once it has that certain patina. Hah!

Emile: you'll never recover from getting into the open source world involving Linux. I use 'em all: Windows, Mac, iOS, and Linux...all across some 20 computers in my household....four in my shack or workbench alone. I'll add a Pi for a flight tracker soon. Learn all Debian derivatives such as Raspian. It's a great investment in your future, young man!

Frank

N5ZNO likes this.