Amateur Radio Parity Act moving forward...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KN6SD, May 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KN6SD

KN6SD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

BTW: To all of you "NO" Antenna Hams, when ARPA passes you can keep your coat hanger antenna in the attic... I'm sure the ARRL will come up with a "Worked All Thermostats" award for you guys... ha ha ha ha ha

2. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I grew up in Memphis, and have been going back there every month or so since my mother passed a couple of years ago. It's a shame that I didn't get into amateur radio until well after I moved away; the house I grew up in was on a grid line!

Memphis proper is very much a city where conditions can change block to block. And, while there is a decent amount of money in the area, it hasn't trickled down as far as it can in areas with more dynamic economies.

W4IOA and N5PZJ like this.
  3. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's a very good point....if you want to keep your stealth antenna , you can keep your stealth antenna!
    So how does that "Worked all Thermostats" award work...limited to direct neighbors or the entire community? When does one reach WADXT? Do you need written letters of complaint from each owner or are phone calls OK?
    I can see other awards...Worked all Smoke Detectors....Worked all Alarm Systems? Hey it's all radio! ;)

KN6SD likes this.
  4. KN6SD

Don't forget Computer Network Wiring and Home Theater Systems, another Award for the attic ham...…… We might even write an awards book on how to do it...…...

WD0BCT likes this.
  5. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We could turn the stealth antenna mode into the next QRP business. Think of the possibilities!

N5PZJ likes this.
  6. KN6SD

Ya know, it's a whole new class of Operator.. We'll call them, "Hams with Dependent Antenna Systems" (HDAS)... What are the antennas dependent on??? Other Hams with REAL Antennas in the air...

WD0BCT likes this.
  7. N5PZJ

N5PZJ Subscriber QRZ Page

I also grew up in Memphis, out by Eastgate shopping center in the 60s and 70s. I left Memphis after graduating from Christian Brothers high school and went to college in Louisiana because my step mother was from Louisiana and jobs were real plentiful down here with a good career line. I married a local girl in Louisiana and this is where I make my home now. My dear step mother lived in Memphis until her death three years ago In her late 90s. I used to go back to Memphis almost once a month for years and my neighbor in Memphis WB4BUM, Wayne Simpson, still keeps in contact, we can’t believe how the old neighborhood changed but he’s 25 years older than me and I’m almost 60 LOL. My father came to Memphis in 1955 and bought the house as they were completing it and I live there my entire childhood.

Many fond memories of Memphis but you’re right the money doesn’t trickle down just right and there is a great disparity in the community. Opportunity is definitely linked education and Memphis had some find schools but for the most part, Had become basically branch offices of major corporations and of course FedEx! And my senior year of high school, I could’ve got on at FedEx and went to college at Memphis State And there would’ve been plenty of opportunity in hindsight. BTW the old house of Mount Moriah Avenue did CCR’s, but antennas were not listed.

Martin. N5PZJ

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well...it's not. Atherton, CA is, and they have no problem with antennas. John Troster W6ISQ was probably the most well-known ham resident in Atherton, but there are lots of hams there, today -- with antennas.

2nd most expensive is Manalapan/Lantana, FL. But on the list of the "15 most expensive zip codes in America," 8 of them are in California and all eight have active hams with towers and antennas: https://www.forbes.com/sites/samant...s-most-expensive-zip-codes-2017/#7626b4bf5d19

K9EE's place in zip 33462, the 2nd most expensive zip code in America: I see a tower and HF beam...it's a 3-element SteppIR yagi.

[​IMG]

N2SR and N2EY like this.
  9. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I see the problem - you have this as a false premise which leads you to false conclusions.

10. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Not the first time you stopped short of a thorough search. Atherton isn't the most expensive. See below from Bloomberg::

"Areas like Silicon Valley and Beverly Hills, California attract the West Coast wealthy and Manhattan lures East Coast elites. But the richest zip code in the United States actually belongs to a little island in Florida, according to a new Bloomberg study. After Fisher Island, taking second place in Bloomberg's ranking with an average income of slightly less than $1.5 million in 2015, is Atherton, California, located in Silicon Valley. In third is Palm Beach, Florida, the county in which President Donald Trump's massive, Mar-a-Lago estate is located.

Located just minutes off the coast of Miami, Fisher Island (zip code 33109) has some wealthy residents, with the average income there a whopping $2.5 million in 2015, according to a Bloomberg analysis of 2015 Internal Revenue Service data"

On Realtor.com, the most expensive listing on Fisher Island is a four-bedroom, 6,644- square-foot residence with a $26,411,500 asking price. The least expensive is a one-bedroom condo for $975,000.

Located just minutes off the coast of Miami, Fisher Island (zip code 33109) has some wealthy residents, with the average income there a whopping $2.5 million in 2015, according to a Bloomberg analysis of 2015 Internal Revenue Service data.

The private, man-made island, was once home to the winter estate of railroad fortune heir William K. Vanderbilt, according to the Fisher Island Club, the island's centerpiece resort. Now, his Vanderbilt Mansion sits at the crux of the club's facilities.

Over 650 families from 42 countries live on Fisher Island, according to the club, although less than 20 percent of them live there year-round. The island has reportedly attracted celebrities like Oprah Winfrey.

On Realtor.com, the most expensive listing on Fisher Island is a four-bedroom, 6,644- square-foot residence with a $26,411,500 asking price. The least expensive is a one-bedroom condo for $975,000."

After your comments denying I have a fence, your disingenuous interpretation of my neighborhood rules and calling everyone who lives in an HOA "brainwashed", I didn't expect more fallacies... but then you go and exceed expectations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.