ad: Alphaant-1

Amateur Radio Operator BSA uniform patch discontinued

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AK2M, Oct 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K5LRS

K5LRS Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope, no strips in my day either and that was the 50's. I got my novice ticket and radio merit badge about the same time, 1958.

2. K5LRS

K5LRS Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, having experienced nearly the same thing here in NW Arkansas. We have tried several times to set up radio clubs at no cost to the school systems and you might get two or three to join but then something else catches their attention. We just gave up on the idea of school radio clubs.

Rich, K5LRS

3. AK2M

AK2M Ham Member QRZ Page

That's the one I'm talking about. I know the difference. (See my profile pic.)

4. AK2M

AK2M Ham Member QRZ Page

I knew this was going to devolve into a BSA bash-fest, but I've heard worse in person. However, I prefer to keep the topic on ham radio.

For better or worse, the Amateur Radio Operator strip was a unique way to recognize scouts that achieved their ham radio license. These days, that's a feat in just getting them interested. I enjoy having my uniform strip, if for no other reason than it has invited questions from scouts about what it means.

Merit badges are another matter entirely. I'm also a Radio Merit Badge counselor, and I don't just give those out. Depending on the number of scouts, my lecture takes about three hours, and then the youth have to research careers and make some radio contacts. It's not trivial. There are counselors and summer camps out there that are merit badge factories, to be sure. That's always been the case.

But unless you wear your merit badge sash all the time, nothing was as persistent as the Amateur Radio Operator strip. And, it's tiny. However, it goes with you everywhere. It might not hearken back to Baden-Powell, but it was a small incentive in an uphill battle to get the kids out of their smartphones and into the idea of radio. I, for one, will miss it. That's why I bought a bunch of the strips and I will continue to give those out at Courts of Honor to any youth that get their license.

"It's easier to build strong children than to repair broken adults." I think much of what's wrong with our society can be traced to less involvement in the character development of our youth. I have always been proud to be a den leader, cub master, scout master, etc and I will continue to invest in our community through the scouting program.

WA1ZCN, WZ4K, WJ4U and 6 others like this.
  5. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

I see this as just as much an ARRL failure. While they were preoccupied with censuring officers, raising dues, and trying to change amateur radio to get more members, the BSA type issues were ignored. Funny thing is the BSA and ARRL have the same problem today as vestiges of a bygone era. As such they could/might be mutually supportive but they both have their own different mode of self preservation.

Good to see the "Amateur Radio Operator" strip on the Boy Scout uniform being replaced by the "Easy Bake Oven Operator" and "Decorating Color Coordinator" strips.

N6SPP likes this.
  6. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

,,,or devolve through time. This is yet another manifestation of social engineering.

KI7HSB likes this.
  7. WN1MB

Bingo.

KI7HSB likes this.
  8. KA9UCE

KA9UCE Ham Member QRZ Page

A few years ago, our son was a scout. I thought I might interest the group in electronics, theory, and communications.
    I held a showing, and brought in a couple of service monitors, wattmeters, loads, cables of varying types, and the ever important handouts, which covered the items I brought.
    The kids were interested in the portables there, and a few liked listening to local repeaters.
    They were 'mystified' that our son knew how to properly operate the service monitors, perform tests for power, tone level, deviation and frequency error, and how they all played an integral part in proper alignment and operation of communications equipment.
    The flyers were I believe 10 pages, but had illustrations, and graphs to assist in the explanation of how everything is 'connected'.

I had a lot of good questions to answer from them, and I thought I might have some candidates for getting their tickets.

Even following up, I was let down...their parents got them hooked on cellphones...
    Games and apps took control, and after I tried to rekindle interest, it was gone.

I gave up, cellphones hold far more interest to youth now.
    I guess earning something through work and study is too difficult, and the 'rewards' pale to the easy access of smart phones.
    Why talk on a radio, when you can surf the web, use Skype, facebook and 'more', and NO STUDYING!

Today's youth are drawn to easy access, no work for the rewards, and have become selfish.
    Our scout troop was only interested in local outings, and I doubt any went to Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico, as I did, when I was a kid...I loved hiking the tooth of time.

After a couple of years passed, our son lost interest in scouts...they never did anything, and never rallied to go anywhere.

This was N. Wisconsin...I know there are groups that do good things, too bad our local group sat on the bench most of the time...I can understand why kids drop out, as did ours.

Such a sad ending, when it only requires a little motivation from the adults, to make their scouting fun and a great tool for learning.

Looking back, I am happy I did my part to broaden their horizons in some small way, but it requires real effort to keep the youth interested enough to WANT to stay in scouting.
    I did not see that with our group.

WN1MB likes this.
  9. AK2M

AK2M Ham Member QRZ Page

Mr. Erickson, so much to respond to in your post, and I thank you for writing it.

I, too, get frequently discouraged when trying to introduce my scouts to radio and technology in general. My own son (who is nearly First Class rank) has very little interest in radio, but I've managed to finally convince him to go through the Technician classes offered by my Amateur Radio Club and sit for his test in November. I've promised him one of my handheld radios, and an Amateur Radio Operator strip for his uniform (hence, the purpose of this whole thread). What finally got him to agree was gaining the ability to communicate and give aid when cell phone service was unavailable.

Now, I'll admit that he's unusual when it comes to community service. At age 11 he logged over 100 hours in a year and earned the President's Volunteer Service Award Gold Medal. So, his desire to work for others is stronger than his desire to use the radio. That's how I got him in.

Our troop goes on a camping outing once a month, and we regularly have groups going on high adventure outings - Sea Base, Northern Tier, etc. We always have scouts and leaders going to Jamboree and I'll be at World Scout Jamboree myself next summer. We have plenty of opportunities to see that on our outings, cell phones just don't work. The number of times we have pairs of scouts running back and forth between patrols in the wilderness to affect communication is noteworthy. I want to get at least two radios out there (mine and my son's) to show the boys that we can talk up and down the trail/mountain/river without needing a cell tower. Hopefully this will garner more interest.

I have to remember though, that these are teenagers. Patience and perseverance are critical.

There are a couple of boys who step up to serve more than others. I have one new scout in my patrol who used his home 3D printer to make little "coins" with our patrol animal on them and passed them out to his fellow scouts and me. I glued mine onto a sturdy fabric sleeve and made a neckerchief slide out of it. These are the boys I'm holding out hope to get involved into radio. Hey, I got them to put a little more effort into their cooking and make some truly great meals over the camp stove. If I can make them wait for food, anything is possible, right? ;-)

When I feel like giving up (with this, or any other issue) I look out at the 70 boys in our troop and I strengthen my resolve to guide and mentor them as best my abilities can.

Often, they surprise and impress me. Those are good days.

KA9UCE, W7WEB, WN1MB and 1 other person like this.
  10. AD0AC

AD0AC Ham Member QRZ Page

Which is exactly why Cub Scout packs will be divided up into single-gender dens, and Scout Troops will be divided into single-gender troops. Boys and girls will not be in a position of leadership over the other gender unless and until they move into a Venturing unit.

Really? The people involved in Scouting are a reflection of the organization who holds the charter. If your church is allowing the "worst" of society to serve as adult leaders in any capacity, much less the chartered Scout units, then there are probably other bigger problems to deal with first.

As far as amateur radio in Scouting, I've taught merit badge classes, gone to Jamborees and staffed K2BSA, and set up demonstration stations for district and council events. Kids are either interested, or not. Some think amateur radio is interesting, others would rather weave a leather band for their hiking staff. That's the cool thing about Scouting, there's something for everyone. What has surprised me is how interested the Dads are whenever I set up a station. Guys who are 30-45 years old come up and work the station for HOURS, and they haven't seen a radio in 20-25 years since they were a Scout. THOSE are the guys that go out and get their license, buy a bunch of equipment, and get on the air. They have the disposable income that the youth won't have to invest in a long-term hobby. Kids are kids. They want something they can do with their friends, and amateur radio usually isn't it.

WA1ZCN, AG5DB, KA9UCE and 2 others like this.
  11. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't "WOMEN TROOP LEADERS" for the BROWNIES AND THE GIRL SCOUT feel put down by the entrance of their charges (GIRLS) INTO THE WORLD OF MALES??? GEEEZ Ladies get some "Brass Balls" and tell the MALES "YOU CAN'T HAVE OUR LADIES!!!" There's not supposed to be discrimination as concerns the SEXES BUT ISN'T THIS SITUATION TAKING IT WAY TOO FAR???

12. WN1MB

That's turning into a tired, worn out saw.

13. UR6EA

UR6EA Ham Member QRZ Page

DEL

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  14. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

It's ok, the League has turned into softwood due to internal rot.

15. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Girl Scouts had their say......
    "Girl Scouts slam Boy Scouts' decision to accept girls: 'The Boy Scouts' house is on fire' "
    https://abcnews.go.com/US/girl-scouts-slam-boy-scouts-decision-accept-girls/story?id=50433448

WN1MB likes this.