ad: MyersEng-1

Amateur Radio Newsline Report 2147 for Friday, December 21, 2018

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Dec 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Amateur Radio Newsline Report 2147 for Friday, December 21, 2018 Audio Podcast - https://www.arnewsline.org/s/Report2147.mp3

Amateur Radio Newsline Report Number 2147 with a release date of Friday, December 21, 2018 to follow in 5-4-3-2-1.
    The following is a QST. An arrest is made in a California ham's killing. Canada's parks are going on the air -- and yes, Virginia, Santa Claus is back on the bands. All this and more as Amateur Radio Newsline Report 2147 comes your way right now.
    BILLBOARD CART
    BREAKING NEWS: ARREST MADE IN CALIFORNIA HAM'S KILLING
    NEIL/ANCHOR: We begin this week's report with breaking news in the killing earlier this year of Henry Allen Stange WA6RXZ of Murrieta, California. Police have charged a United States Marine officer with murder six months after the ham radio operator's body was found on June 2 in a shallow grave in Joshua Tree National Park. First Lieutenant Curtis Lee Krueger, 30, has been charged with murder, according to an NBC News report. Krueger and his girlfriend had initially been arrested in August but prosecutors declined to prosecute the case and the couple was released. Krueger, who was charged on Dec. 7 following the discovery of new information, has been arraigned on the felony charge and is being held in lieu of $1 million bail. His girlfriend has not been charged. Henry Stange was 54 years old at the time of his killing.
    (NBC NEWS)
    IN NEW ZEALAND, MORE TIME TO OPERATE ON 60 METERS
    NEIL/ANCHOR: The 60 meter trial operation in New Zealand has been given an extension, and Jim Meachen ZL2BHF has more details.
    JIM M: Hams in New Zealand who’ve become accustomed to operating on 60m are getting an additional six months’ time on the band. Radio Spectrum Management announced recently it was extending the one-year trial operations which would have otherwise ended next month. Hams may now have access to parts of 60m until July 24th 2019. As before, any ham wanting to operate on that band must obtain a sub-licence from the NZART. Hams who already possess one do not need to do any additional paperwork. Amateurs received access to the band last year as a result of negotiations between the national society, the NZ regulator and the NZ Defence Force which is the primary user of the band.
    The extended time is designed to allow for the gathering of more information. The trial was established to allow for a study of whether ham radio operators’ presence on the frequencies on a secondary basis causes any interference to primary users. The trial operation occurs for SSB on spot frequencies of 5353kHz and 5362 kHz. CW operates between 5362.05 kHz and 5364.75 kHz with digital overlapping on 5362.4 through 5364.75 kHz.
    The maximum allowable output is 10dBW or the equivalent of 10 watts EIRP.
    For Amateur Radio Newsline I’m Jim Meachen ZL2BHF.
    (NZART)
    CANADA PREPARES TO CELEBRATE ITS PARKS
    NEIL/ANCHOR: With 2019 just around the corner, hams in Canada have big plans and Dave Parks WB8ODF shares them with us.

DAVE: Inspired by the National Parks on the Air event held in the United States to mark the National Park Service centennial in 2016, Radio Amateurs of Canada has given its support to Canada’s own National Parks on the Air event which begins January 1st. Much like the U.S. event run by the ARRL, Canada’s year-long event has been organized as an open invitation to radio amateurs to activate any of the 48 national parks and 171 national historic sites in Canada. Likewise, “chasers” are being encouraged to score a contact with hams at these locations. A website and real-time leader board will be tracking both chasers and activators – and operators become eligible for online certificates and other awards. This event has its roots in Halifax, Nova Scotia with a small group of amateurs who believed it be a fitting way to celebrate the of Canada, from the Elk Island National Park in Alberta to the Dawson Historical Complex which features buildings from the Klondike Gold Rush. To follow the program’s progress in the weeks leading up to opening day, visit their website at cnpota dot ca (cnpota.ca)
    For Amateur Radio Newsline I’m Dave Parks WB8ODF.
    HAMFEST INDIA TO FEATURE A YL FORUM
    NEIL/ANCHOR: YLs in India are getting a forum of their own at a major amateur radio gathering. Here's Jaason Daniels VK2LAW.
    JASON: The Indian Institute of Hams, which marked their Silver Jubilee Year in 2018, is jointly hosting Hamfest India with REVA University in the Silicon City of Bengaluru on the 29th and 30th of December. Established in 1991, with its first hamfest in the southern state of Kerala, the event has grown to be the largest gathering of amateur radio operators in India. According to the event website, 1, 335 delegates have already registered with 65 percent of them hams and 35 percent shortwave listeners. One of the highlights of the two-day event will be a YL Forum taking place on the morning of the second day. Everything from satellites to software-defined radio will be covered in the program on the private university’s campus. There will also be workshops to help amateurs develop and sharpen their technical skills. For more details visit hamfestindia dot com.
    For Amateur Radio Newsline I’m Jason Daniels VK2LAW.
    (YL Beam, INDIAN INSTITUTE OF HAMS)
    RSGB SEEKS NOMINEES FOR POSTS
    NEIL/ANCHOR: The Radio Society of Great Britain has some volunteer vacancies to fill and Jeremy Boot G4NJH tells us about the nomination process.
    JEREMY: There is still a little more than a month remaining to submit nominations to fill various vacancies at the Radio Society of Great Britain. The voluntary posts comprise 10 regional vacancies, two elected Board Director vacancies and two nominated Board Director vacancies. Each position is for a three-year term. The Society writes on its website that the individuals who fill these posts will play key roles in the development of the Society’s formal initiative known as Strategy 2022. The nomination process is being conducted online.
    Voting will be done electronically and on April 27 it may be done in person at the annual general meeting. Nominations close on the 31st of January and electronic voting commences on the 15th of March.
    Additional details and election forms can be found at the website rsgb dot org forward slash nominations.
    For Amateur Radio Newsline I’m Jeremy Boot G4NJH
    (RSGB)
    SOUTH CAROLINA AMATEUR HONORED FOR PROMOTING HAM RADIO
    NEIL/ANCHOR: In South Carolina, one ham club is celebrating a member's recognition by the ARRL, as we hear from Kevin Trotman N5PRE.
    KEVIN: The Grand Strand Amateur Radio Club in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina is feeling proud right now: the club’s public information officer, E. Gordon Mooneyhan W4EGM, recently received the ARRL’s Philip J. McGan Award for his work promoting amateur radio.
    The award was given to him by the ARRL’s Roanoke Division vice director Bill Morine N2COP who said Gordon was chosen from among 512 public information officers. He was credited with an innovative use of traditional communications and social media to get the message of ham radio across. The honor is named in memory of Silent Key Philip J. McGan WA2MBQ, a journalist who was the first chairman of the ARRL’s public relations committee.
    For Amateur Radio Newsline I'm Kevin Trotman N5PRE.
    (ARRL)
    REFUNDS AVAILABLE FOR 3Y0Z CONTRIBUTORS
    NEIL/ANCHOR: Even as hams await the departure of the Three Y Zero Eye Bouvet Island DXpedition, the crew of the Three Y Zero Zed DXpedition, which was aborted earlier this year, has announced it is able to begin offering refunds to its contributors. The Three Y Zero Zed DXpedition’s website notes that the refunds will begin in early January and that all contributors, whether they are DX Clubs, DX Foundations, the DXpedition team or individual DXers, will be treated equally – that means that the same percentage of each contributor’s amount will be made available for return. The website posting noted that the refund will be between 45 percent and 50 percent of the original contribution.
    The posting, which was written by team coleader Bob K4UEE, also notes that anyone not wishing to receive their refund will be offered other options. The team had been within one mile of the island when it called off the landing in February, citing engine and weather issues.
    BREAK HERE: Time for you to identify your station. We are the Amateur Radio Newsline, heard on bulletin stations around the world including AM radio station KSET at 1300 kHz on Sundays at 9:45 a.m. local time in Beaumont, Texas.
    GERMAN SPECIAL EVENT STATION TAKES FLIGHT
    NEIL/ANCHOR: Hams in Germany are marking a big moment in commercial aviation history and Ed Durrant DD5LP has that story.
    ED: Sometimes the best way to celebrate a successful effort in the air is by having a special event *on* the air. A number of stations in Germany are preparing now for a special event station that begins on January the 1st as an exercise in German pride in aviation. This is the DF13 special event marking the 100th anniversary of the maiden journey of an aircraft considered the mother of commercial flight.
    That airplane, the Junkers F-13, takes its name from its designer, aviation pioneer Hugo Junkers, who designed the world’s first all-metal transport plane for civilian use. It took to the skies on June 25th 1919.
    Be listening for a number of stations whose call signs include DF13 – they are DF13DEJU, DF13BLN and DF13BUD and DF13MUC. Direct QSL cards can be sent to DM2TO. Cards sent via the bureau will be confirmed after the 15th of July. The special call signs will be in use until the event concludes on June the 30th.
    For more details visit their QRZ.com page or visit juf13 dot de, which is written in German.
    For Amateur Radio Newsline I’m Ed Durrant DD5LP.
    (QRZ.COM)
    IN WASHINGTON STATE, IT'S A "HAM JAM"
    NEIL/ANCHOR: In Washington state, hams are taking Elmering to a new level as Andy Morrison K9AWM tells us.
    ANDY: You’ve heard of the OMISS Net, the Rooster Net, the Hurricane Net and of course various ARES Nets – but how about the “safety net?” The West Seattle Amateur Radio Club in Washington state calls theirs a “ham jam” and it’s a new program the club launched recently to provide support to newly ticketed Technicians who may feel intimidated when trying to make their first contacts on the air. The first three-week gathering, which concluded on the 17th of December, took Group Elmering to a new level. Jim Edward WS7JIM told Newsline that the concept began with Mei KI7TZA (Kilo India 7 Tango Zulu Alpha), one of the club members, who realized that many Technicians get their tickets only to disappear and eventually lose interest.
    Jim said no set agenda was planned – other than serving cookies. Discussions addressed the new hams’ needs. On each of the three “ham jam” nights, the new licensees all got to check in on the club’s weekly net from a room at a local senior center that the club had reserved for the gathering. The Technicians learned about net control, how repeaters work and how to program their HTs. They also learned about EchoLink and various different types of radios.
    Jim noted that the 75-year-old club has seen tremendous growth lately, driven in particular by the area’s need for increased emergency preparedness. They are located in a part of the Pacific Northwest viewed as overdue for an earthquake.
    Jim told Newsline “The success of these sessions was obvious from the start.” Now the club has added a monthly Elmer’s breakfast to its calendar to keep the discussions going. After all, what goes better with any jam than a good breakfast?
    For Amateur Radio Newsline I’m Andy Morrison K9AWM.
    SANTA's HO-HO-HOPING FOR GOOD DX
    NEIL/ANCHOR: In case you were wondering, in this holiday season hams around the world once again have "CLAUS" to celebrate. Here's Mike Askins KE5CXP with details.
    MIKE: Walking in Santa’s boots is a tall order but ham radio operators have almost always been up to the challenge. It just takes a lot more hams to do it because, well, Santa is Santa. Here in the U.S. there are a number of Santa Nets—and over the years in Europe there have been the traditional Christmas activations for Santa himself - OH9SCL, PB18XMAS, PD18SANTA and 3Z0XMAS. There is also OF9X - Old Father Nine Christmas - calling Q R Zed to true believers as he makes his rounds.
    This year hams in Romania are taking things one step further with the third edition of the YP-XMAS activations. The coordinator Sorin YO2MSB told Newsline “it is an effort of almost twenty activators to make a beautiful event.” That’s a lot of Santas – and so they are spread out across the spectrum and across the modes. That means that this year in addition to SSB, QSOs will be taking place in CW and digital modes, on VHF, UHF, on repeaters and FT-8. Work three different call signs and Santa has a gift for you to unwrap: an award sent electronically.
    Sorin told Newsline: “It is a generous wide-open event with no other rules than respect of the DX Code of Conduct. So if you are working YP2XMAS, YP3XMAS or any of the other activators up to YP9XMAS, be patient and listen carefully. You might just hear a Q-R-Zed that sounds a little bit like a “Ho-Ho-Ho.”
    For Amateur Radio Newsline I’m Mike Askins KE5CXP.
    NEIL/ANCHOR: As for OF9X, the famous Santa operation from Lapland, Finland gets on the air Friday, December 21 at 1800 UTC this year and continues through the 31st of December. According to the station's page on the QR Zed website, Santa is getting the younger generation of elves a little more involved in the on-air holiday spirit.
    (QRZ.COM)
    WORLD OF DX
    In the World of DX for this week, Harry, JG7PSJ, is on the air as JD1BMH from Chichijima Island until the 2nd of January. Listen on 160-10 meters where he will be using CW, SSB and RTTY. QSL via the Bureau to JD1BMH or direct to JG7PSJ.
    (OHIO PENN DX NEWSLETTER)
    KICKER: 'THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS,' HAM RADIO STYLE
    NEIL/ANCHOR: We end this newscast with a Newsline holiday tradition - a ham log instead of a yule log. We again offer this much-loved adaptation of the Clement Clarke Moore classic as read by Jim Damron N8TMW.
    JIM: Twas the night before Christmas and all through the shack
    The rig was turned off and the mic cord lay slack
    The antenna rotor had made its last turn, the tubes in the linear
    had long ceased to burn.
    I sat there relaxing and took off my specs, preparing to daydream of
    Armchair DX-- When suddenly outside I heard such a sound, I dashed
    out the door to see what was around.
    The moon shone down brightly and lighted the night. For sure
    propagation for the low bands was right.
    I peered toward the roof where I heard all the racket and there was
    some guy in a red, fur-trimmed jacket!
    I stood there perplexed in a manner quite giddy: Just who WAS this
    stranger? di di dah dah di dit?
    He looked very much like an FCC guy who'd come to check up on some
    bad TVI.
    I shouted to him: "Old man...QR-Zed?"
    "Hey you by the chimney all dressed up in red!"
    I suddenly knew when I heard sleigh bells jingle
    The guy on the rooftop was Jolly Kris Kringle
    He had a big sack full of amateur gear which was a big load
    for his prancing reindeer.
    Transmitters, receivers, for cabinets and racks
    Some meters and scopes and a lot of co-ax.
    He said not a word 'cause he'd finished his work.
    He picked up his sack and he turned with a jerk.
    As he leaped to his sleigh, he shouted with glee
    And I knew in a moment he'd be QRT.
    I heard him transmit as he flew o'er the trees
    "Merry Christmas to all, and to all seventy-three."
    "Ho Ho Ho"
    For Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Jim Damron, N8TMW.
    NEWSCAST CLOSE: With thanks to Alan Labs; Amateur News Weekly; the ARRL; CQ Magazine; Hap Holly and the Rain Report; NBC News; NZART; Ohio-Penn DX Bulletin; QRZ.COM; Radio Society of Great Britain; Southgate Amateur Radio News; Ted Randall's QSO Radio Show; Wireless Institute of Australia; WTWW Shortwave; the YL Beam; Santa Claus; and you our listeners, that's all from the Amateur Radio Newsline. Please send emails to our address at newsline@arnewsline.org. More information is available at Amateur Radio Newsline's only official website at www.arnewsline.org.
    For now, with Caryn Eve Murray, KD2GUT, at the news desk in New York, and our news team worldwide, I'm Neil Rapp WB9VPG in Bloomington, Indiana saying 73 and as always we thank you for listening.
    Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) is Copyright 2018. All rights reserved.

2. KY4GPD

KY4GPD Ham Member QRZ Page

Merry Christmas to the Amateur Radio Newsline team.

KB7TBT likes this.