ad: M2Ant-1

Amateur Radio Newsline headlines for Ham Nation. February 7, 2018.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Feb 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Amateur Radio Newsline headlines for Ham Nation. February 7, 2018.

W9LRM likes this.
  2. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Really a shame about Bouvet, but it sounds like they didn't have much choice. Last month I took a trip on a 84 meters/2900 ton ship across the Drake Strait (Ushuaia with stops to Petermann Island). We got caught in a storm, and everyone was advised to put life preservers under their mattresses so we'd roll towards the walls. Just standing in the lounge several passengers were banged up, including getting head stitches and a dislocated shoulder. And this was in a decently sized craft with a very experienced crew who regularly make the Antarctic run. (It's unpredictable: the trip before was a dead flat calm.) So I can just imagine what conditions the 3Y people must have been under, and with a bad engine it clearly was a situation to get out of.

W8NET and KC8VWM like this.
  3. W4JF

W4JF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Really a bummer for the Bouvet team and the rest of the DX world. Thanks for trying guys and I hope you have a save trip home. Maybe some operation from South Africa once you arrive in Capetown (if feasible)? 73, Joe

4. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

ZS8 Marion Island?

5. K3SX

K3SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

David K3LP was my friend for more than 25 years. His loss is one that has been felt all over the world. I am pleased to see that his legacy will be carried into the future. The Celebration of his Life was bitter sweet. It was what David would have thrown himself. Rest In Peace David. 73, Sid K3SX

K8CPT, N1SZ, W9LRM and 1 other person like this.