ad: k1jek

Amateur Radio Newsline headlines for Ham Nation. August 21, 2019.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Aug 20, 2019.

ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Amateur Radio Newsline headlines for Ham Nation. August 21, 2019.

2. AA1W

AA1W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A close friend of a radio amateur who died in a recent tower-related accident has contacted ARRL with additional observations. Joseph Areyzaga, K1JGA (photo), died in the July 27 incident, and the tower's owner was seriously injured. The individual reported that Areyzaga and Mike Rancourt, K1EEE -- the tower's owner -- were in the process of lowering one of the antennas when the tower tipped over. The friend said the tower was genuine Rohn 25, with a genuine Rohn BPH25 hinge plate, and that the apparent -- but not proven -- failure point was not obvious while the tower was still standing. All three pier posts on the hinge plate broke off, with the tower section bolts still intact and in place, he reported. No official determination has been made as to the specific cause of the failure. Rancourt, who was seriously injured in the incident, remains hospitalized but is said to be recovering well.

3. J85X

J85X Guest

My my my. How sad to read of this, My condolences goes out to the Areyzaga family and i wish mr Mike Rancourt a speedy recovery.

4. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Not the first time this has happened. Age 16 and paralysed for life. Fell 55 feet after guy broke and mast collapsed.

https://www.shorpy.com/loud-and-clear-1922