ad: chuckmartin

Amateur Radio in Space pioneer astronaut Owen Garriott, W5LFL, SK

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Apr 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

RIP a great man !

in a group on facebook I talk with an OM in Oregon who was one of the first three who spoke to him when he was in space for the first time!

PS a curiosity but how come 2 equal posts here on qrz new, reason?

73 de IW2BSF - Rudy

Admin of FB group ISS Space Station International Fan's Group

2. IW2BSF

(Owens son)
    Richard Garriott was also an astronaut, he flew up in a Soyuz space capsule on October 23rd 2008 and spent 12 days in the ISS (International Space Station) that have a contact via radio with his father on earth (the contact is on Youtube ! ), he’s a successful computer game developer,Although not a Ham, but as goal driven as his father was.

3. KC8UD

KC8UD Ham Member QRZ Page

Those were exciting times when Dr. Garriott made the first orbital flights carrying amateur radio. I was privileged to be part of the crew to produce the film "Amateur Radio's Newest Frontier" featuring Owen Garriott. Roy Neal (K6DUE - SK) and Bill Pasternak (WA6ITF - SK) and I traveled to several of the NASA facilities to shoot scenes to include in this feature. I and my camera was allowed to spend several hours with the astronauts inside the spacelab simulator to record some of their training efforts for their mission. Owen was certainly a powerful advocate for amateur radio in space and paved the way for many future missions taking ham radio aboard. It is largely due to his negotiations and careful insistence that he was allowed to take some modified radio gear and antenna on the shuttle. He was able to prove the viability of spaceborn amateur radio and we still enjoy the results today.

4. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Chip, check your Conversations/PM's please.

Carl

5. WB5UMG

WB5UMG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Worked Owen on a pass from an RT near Ellington Field in Houston. Proud of the QSL card. Onward and Upward Owen !
    WB5UMG

6. NI9Y

NI9Y XML Subscriber QRZ Page

73's until we meet again. I had a short QSO with him as he was circling overhead. I made a recoding of his flight but need a micro tape recorder/player to listen to it. He was loud and clear like sitting next to me in the shack. How time flies.

7. IW2BSF

sorry correct : Richard Owen's son is a Ham, his son (now W5KWQ which is his Grandad's Owen SR original call)

8. G6NHW

G6NHW Ham Member QRZ Page

still also have my q.s.l card, a reminder of my younger days on the radio, receive only, i,m afraid heard here in the uk ,will be sadly missed. G6 NHW

9. K7LTF

K7LTF Ham Member QRZ Page

I never had the chance to work Owen - but did see his forward in the Tune in the Word with ham radio - 85-87, ed, i believe. Also saw the SAREX promo video that the ARRL did back in the 80s very impressive - Wish to at the same was able to work JY1, Both hams in their own right very highly regarded by many - and will both be missed - by the ham community.

Rip W5LFL -

10. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Like many, I was able to copy Owen on one of his orbits from here in the San Francisco Bay area in Dec.1983. I used an old Bearcat 210 receiver with it's built in short telescoping whip and fed that into a tape recorder. I was lucky to be at the listening table and heard the squelch open and close, so I fully opened the squelch.. I knew he was in range by the desensing in the receiver. A moment later I heard- "...this is W5LFL aboard the Space Shuttle Columbia...(fading).. I'll be calling for 90 seconds this time around..". He was gone after that.

11. KA9Q

KA9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I was at the KSC press site for Owen's launch on STS-9, the only shuttle launch I saw in person. But I didn't get to know Owen until 2012 when we were both on a week-long Planetary Society tour of several national parks in Utah plus the Grand Canyon, where we saw the annular eclipse of the sun from the South Rim. We talked about a wide range of topics in ham radio, education, space and the Apollo program. I think he was happy that I didn't just ask how astronauts go to the bathroom in space!

During the eclipse itself, I called off the times when I'd calculated the remaining sunlight was equivalent to that at Mars, Jupiter, etc. Owen pointed out that I'd forgotten a square term, as I'd assumed the eclipse percentages referred to the obscured solar area when they actually referred to the diameter. Ooops! I don't think I had time to revise my figures. Oh well, it seemed like a clever idea...

12. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

--That should read- "..I'll be calling N.America for 90 seconds, this time around.."

13. IK6DCL

IK6DCL Ham Member QRZ Page

RIP Owen

14. WB2GMK

WB2GMK Ham Member QRZ Page

This is sad news. Back when I lived in NYC, I was on the committee for the 1984 ARRL National Convention. Owen was our keynote speaker. I met him, shook his hand; it was a great honor. At that time, I owned an advertising agency, which did, among other things. some ham radio advertising. I had the good folks in my art department do a portrait of Owen in his spacesuit, looming over the NYC skyline. QST ran it as the cover story that month. Yes, I made the cover of Q Street with Owen Garriot. Now some young ham will soon have the distinction of working the first live ham on the moon. I hope I am around to see that!!!!!!!

15. AF9US

AF9US Ham Member QRZ Page

Driving home one workday in the late '80s:

Listening for the cacaphony of transmissions to die down on W5LFL frequency, I threw-in my call/Florida Mobile....

W5LFL: The FLORIDA MOBILE go!

My greatest thrill! Stammeringly, I completed the contact; the cacophony began again....

A BIG SMILE I beamed the rest of the day!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
    :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) Bernie, AF9US :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
    :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)