AMATEUR RADIO HELPFUL HINTS ON USING MORSE CODE, (CW) !

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KD0QV, Nov 14, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD0QV

KD0QV Ham Member QRZ Page

THERE IS NO MORE MORSE CODE TESTING IN U.S.A. FOR HAMS ! ALL CLASSES OF HAMS IN THE U.S.A. ARE ALLOWED ON MANY HF-BANDS WITH CW ! NO ONE IS LEFT OUT USING CW !
    DEAR FELLOW HAMS, PLEASE RELAX, & LEARN THE MORSE CODE AT YOUR OWN PACE ! TAKE A MINUTE TO LOOK AT THE BRIGHT SIDE OF USING MORSE CODE !
    1. REMEMBER, THERE IS NO "SPEED-LIMIT" ON MORSE CODE !
    2. WITH ONLY 26 LETTERS, & 10 NUMBERS, & SOME PUNCTUATION, A TOTAL OF 50 CHARACTERS, (EACH WITH A DIFFERENT UNIQUE SOUND), TO LEARN !
    3. MORSE CODE IS UNIVERSAL, WORLD-WIDE ! (WE ENGLISH SPEAKING HAMS, DO NOT NEED TO LEARN A NEW LANGUAGE !)

THINK FOR A MINUTE, HOW DIFFUCULT IT MUST BE FOR A FOREIGN HAM TO LEARN, TRANSLATE, & UNDERSTAND, MORSE CODE SENT IN ENGLISH ! MY HUMBLE THANKS TO THE MANY FOREIGN DX-HAMS, WHO WORK US FOR OUR DX-QSO'S. THEY ARE SOME OF THE BEST CW-OP'S IN THE WORLD !
    4. AFTER YOU MASTER THE 50 DIFFERENT UNIQUE SOUNDS, & CAN SEND & RECIEVE THEM, AT YOUR SPEED, THEN GET ON YOUR HF-BANDS & USE THEM !

THERE IS NO MORE MORSE CODE TESTING IN U.S.A. FOR HAMS ! ALL CLASSES OF HAMS IN THE U.S.A. ARE ALLOWED ON MANY HF-BANDS WITH CW ! THERE ARE LOTS OF CLEAR & OPEN CW FREQUENCY'S ON OUR HF-BANDS. NOT SO WITH SSB VOICE ON HF. TECH'S ONLY HAVE 10-METER VOICE ON HF. THERE ARE PLENTY OF USED HF-RIGS, AT REASONABLE COST FOR NEW HAMS. ALL YOU REALLY NEED IS A HF-RIG, A HAND KEY, & AN ANTENNA FOR THE BANDS YOU WANT TO WORK.

OLD SCHOOL HERE, BUT THIS IS THE WAY I LEARNED MORSE CODE AS A NOVICE. I HAD TO BORROW A RECIEVER, TO COPY CODE. BOUGHT A GOOD QUALITY HAND KEY & LEARNED BOTH SENDING & RECIEVE. TAPE RECORDING MY SENDING, HELPED ME UNDERSTAND WHERE I NEEDED IMPROVMENT, SENDING CHARACTERS, SPACING LETTERS & WORDS, & ACCURACY.
    NOTHING AT ALL WRONG WITH SENDING AT 5 WPM ! THE OTHER HAM WILL SLOW DOWN TO YOUR SPEED. IF NOT JUST SEND "BK QRS BK" (SEND SLOWER PLEASE !) I WAS ALWAYS A BAD SPELLER, SO I ALWAYS SEND SMALL, EASY WORDS ! WRITE DOWN YOUR QSO ROUTINE, & REFER TO IT, AS YOU SEND. YOUR CALL, (SEND IT CORRECTLY, & MAKE SURE THE OTHER HAM COPIES IT CORRECTLY !) SEND IT MANY TIMES, UNTIL HE DOES COPY IT O.K. ! OUR CALL SIGNS ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THE QSO. SEND YOURS & MAKE SURE HE COPIES IT CORRECTLY. COPY HIS CALL CORRECTLY ALSO. IF YOU MISS IT, ASK FOR A REPEAT: "BK CALL ? BK" ("BK" MEANS QUICK BREAK, "?" QUESTION IS YOUR CALL?, "BK" BACK TO YOU). QUICK & EASY & CLEAR !
    ALL THAT IS NEEDED FOR AN HONEST CW QSO, IS BOTH HAMS RECIEVE EACH OTHER'S CALL, & EACH OTHER'S RST REPORT. THAT'S IT ! MARK IT UP AS A GOOD QSO CONTACT ! THE REST OF THE INFO LIKE, NAME, QTH, RIG, & WX IS PART OF THE RAG CHEW. GET THE CALL & RST REPORT FIRST, THEN RAG CHEW IF BAND IS O.K. ! MOST HAMS SEND A CW QSO IN AN ORDER OF: CALL, RST, NAME, QTH, RIG, WX. HAVE YOUR INFO WRITTEN OUT, FOR YOU, & REFER TO IT IF YOU GET LOST. EVER SINCE I STARTED CW, I HAVE PRINTED OUT MY RECIEVE COPY, AS IT IS BEING SENT. LOGS ARE NOT REQUIRED BY F.C.C. ANYMORE, BUT I STILL KEEP A DAILY LOG SHEET OF: DATE, "GMT" TIME, FREQ. MODE, CALL, RST, NAME, QTH, RIG, WX, ECT. OF EACH CONTACT. WHEN YOUR RESPONDING TO QSL'S, YOU CAN GO RIGHT BACK TO THAT QSO, FIND IT, & RESPOND BACK EASILY ! YOU MIGHT THINK OF USING A NICE SET OF HEADPHONES ! IF YOU HAVE TROUBLE HEARING ALL THE FAST "DITS", & "DAHS" OVER THE SPEAKER. TURN UP THE VOLUME ON HEADSET, SO YOU CAN COPY EACH "DIT" & "DAH" OF EACH CHARACTOR ! YOUR XYL, & KIDS WILL THANK YOU ALSO, FOR KEEPING THE HOUSE QUIET ! YOU CAN ALSO KEEP YOUR HEAD ON THE QSO, & NOT BE DISTURBED, ANY HOUR OF THE DAY !

AGAIN, RELAX & LEARN THE MORSE CODE CHARACTERS CORRECTLY, & AT YOUR SPEED ! COPY CORRECTLY, & ACCURATELY, & SEND CORRECTLY, & ACCURATELY !
    IT'S JUST TWO HAMS MAKING A CONTACT QSO, & ALL YOU NEED IS CORRECT CALL SIGNS, & CORRECT RST REPORTS ! RELAX & HAVE CW FUN MAKING QSO'S ! DURING A CW CONTEST, TRY LISTENING TO SOME CONTACTS CALLING CQ. AFTER YOU HAVE HIS CALL CORRECTLY, SEND YOUR CALL IN ANSWER. IF HE COMES BACK TO YOU, SIMPLY SEND HIS RST REPORT, & YOUR CALL.
    THATS IT ! HE IS TRYING TO MAKE AS MANY CONTACTS AS HE CAN, SO SPEED IS HIS GAME. MAKE SURE HE COPIES YOUR CALL O.K. IF NOT REPEAT ! YOU WILL BE ABLE TO MAKE A LOT OF QSO'S FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD IN A CW CONTEST, & VERY QUICKLY ! TAKE IT EASY, & HAVE SOME HAM RADIO FUN ! 73 DE,KD0QV--JIM
    ========================================================================================================================================

2. AA4OO

AA4OO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Pro tip: The caps lock button is on the left side of the keyboard.

But I agree with the content of the OP.

N8DAH, M6GYU and N2UHC like this.
  3. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Quite annoying OM using all caps and too many exclamations. Distracting from message.

M6GYU likes this.
  4. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why are you SHOUTING? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. KQ4MM

KQ4MM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Much easier to read like this.... Hope I didn't step on some rule by doing this

Quote ----

There is no more morse code testing in u.S.A. For hams ! All classes of hams in the u.S.A. Are allowed on many hf-bands with cw ! No one is left out using cw !
    Dear fellow hams, please relax, & learn the morse code at your own pace ! Take a minute to look at the bright side of using morse code !
    1. Remember, there is no "Speed-limit" on morse code !
    2. With only 26 letters, & 10 numbers, & some punctuation, a total of 50 characters, (each with a different unique sound), to learn !
    3. Morse code is universal, world-wide ! (we english speaking hams, do not need to learn a new language !)
    Think for a minute, how diffucult it must be for a foreign ham to learn, translate, & understand, morse code sent in english ! My humble thanks to the many foreign dx-hams, who work us for our dx-qso's. They are some of the best cw-op's in the world !
    4. After you master the 50 different unique sounds, & can send & recieve them, at your speed, then get on your hf-bands & use them !

There is no more morse code testing in u.S.A. For hams ! All classes of hams in the u.S.A. Are allowed on many hf-bands with cw ! There are lots of clear & open cw frequency's on our hf-bands. Not so with ssb voice on hf. Tech's only have 10-meter voice on hf. There are plenty of used hf-rigs, at reasonable cost for new hams. All you really need is a hf-rig, a hand key, & an antenna for the bands you want to work.

Old school here, but this is the way I learned morse code as a novice. I had to borrow a reciever, to copy code. Bought a good quality hand key & learned both sending & recieve. Tape recording my sending, helped me understand where I needed improvment, sending characters, spacing letters & words, & accuracy.
    Nothing at all wrong with sending at 5 wpm ! The other ham will slow down to your speed. If not just send "Bk qrs bk" (send slower please !) I was always a bad speller, so I always send small, easy words ! Write down your qso routine, & refer to it, as you send. Your call, (send it correctly, & make sure the other ham copies it correctly !) send it many times, until he does copy it o.K. ! Our call signs are the most important part of the qso. Send yours & make sure he copies it correctly. Copy his call correctly also. If you miss it, ask for a repeat: "Bk call ? Bk" ("Bk" means quick break, "?" question is your call?, "Bk" back to you). Quick & easy & clear !
    All that is needed for an honest cw qso, is both hams recieve each other's call, & each other's rst report. That's it ! Mark it up as a good qso contact ! The rest of the info like, name, qth, rig, & wx is part of the rag chew. Get the call & rst report first, then rag chew if band is o.K. ! Most hams send a cw qso in an order of: call, rst, name, qth, rig, wx. Have your info written out, for you, & refer to it if you get lost. Ever since I started cw, I have printed out my recieve copy, as it is being sent. Logs are not required by f.C.C. Anymore, but I still keep a daily log sheet of: date, "Gmt" time, freq. Mode, call, rst, name, qth, rig, wx, ect. Of each contact. When your responding to qsl's, you can go right back to that qso, find it, & respond back easily ! You might think of using a nice set of headphones ! If you have trouble hearing all the fast "Dits", & "Dahs" over the speaker. Turn up the volume on headset, so you can copy each "Dit" & "Dah" of each charactor ! Your xyl, & kids will thank you also, for keeping the house quiet ! You can also keep your head on the qso, & not be disturbed, any hour of the day !

Again, relax & learn the morse code characters correctly, & at your speed ! Copy correctly, & accurately, & send correctly, & accurately !
    It's just two hams making a contact qso, & all you need is correct call signs, & correct rst reports ! Relax & have cw fun making qso's ! During a cw contest, try listening to some contacts calling cq. After you have his call correctly, send your call in answer. If he comes back to you, simply send his rst report, & your call.
    Thats it ! He is trying to make as many contacts as he can, so speed is his game. Make sure he copies your call o.K. If not repeat ! You will be able to make a lot of qso's from all over the world in a cw contest, & very quickly ! Take it easy, & have some ham radio fun ! 73 de,kd0qv--jim

End Quote -----

6. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

I will add this...

The FCC only requires us to identify ourselves every ten minutes. Once a QSO is established, please do not send your call sign on every over unless band conditions warrant it or you are operating split. In the "old" days we had to do it because we were all working split. Nothing more time consuming and irritating than to hear two guys in a QSO sending call signs back and forth each time. Especially at 5 WPM ! :)

7. KQ4MM

I'm familiar with the "FCC Rule" but have often wondered if it is 10 min of actual timed transmitting (just my station), or 10 min of timed QSO ( both stations cumulative) , please explain? I'm 7-10 WPM, and just generally send both calls at the end of each round for now to ensure I stay within the rule.

8. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

Both, actually. If it takes you 10 minutes or more to say what you're saying, then be sure to ID every 10 minutes. If you're in a QSO with quick overs, just be sure to ID at least once every 10 minutes during the back-and-forth. If the other guy is taking longer than 10 minutes during his over, don't worry about ID'ing during that time, but as soon as he turns it over to you be sure to ID.

I don't think you have to worry too much about the FCC cracking down on you for ID'ing at 10 minutes and 1 second (even though I've heard stories of overzealous OO's sending cards to hams who ID'ed one or two seconds too late). I've listened to some frequencies on 40 and 80 meters where guys will be talking for over an hour without ID'ing.

9. KQ4MM

Excellent clarification, But I will admit, at my early stage in CW, operating and watching a stop watch in addition to trying to send good code will be a challenge. But seriously I have been actual evolving in this area of OPs as I get more comfortable , stretching the IDs out a bit whilst trying to stay in the 10min bracket, it does speed up the rounds ... I will endeavor to persevere :)

10. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

I typically just give the callsign exchange every over out of habit, unless it's a quick break or something. I normally send around 20 WPM so I'm usually well within the 10 minute limit every time. I never bother with a stopwatch, because 10 minutes on CW is a very long time.

KB4QAA likes this.