ad: Flexradio-1

Amateur Radio and NPD

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by KB3ZGV, Nov 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
  1. KB3ZGV

KB3ZGV Ham Member QRZ Page

There must be some kind of connection, or odd attraction, but about half the time I have a conversation with someone on the radio, I get the feeling they have Narcissistic Personality Disorder.
  2. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm sorry, did you say something?
  3. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator QRZ Page

Phone, CW or digital?

I find the disorder you mention is rare in the latter two cases (PSK macros being the exception).

4. KB3ZGV

Maybe some are just all older and hard of hearing.
  5. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Let me guess...more monologue than dialogue and you know every stitch of gear in his shack when he is done talking.
  6. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Like this?? After the OP baits you in by asking you what your running, he comes back with: "I'm just running a real simple set-up here, a 5 element Opti-Beam up at 110 feet powered by an Alpha 9500, using the Fox Tango Delta X-ray 5000 as a driver". Then continues telling you about the racks of gear for "The audio side".

Yes indeed "a real simple set-up".
  7. N6MEJ

N6MEJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, I was talking....
  8. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator QRZ Page

Figured that. Probably the same reason I average maybe 10 phone QSOs per year.

9. W9RLG

W9RLG Ham Member QRZ Page

That is not always true about SSB. I had 20 minute or more conversation last week on 10 meters with W6OK. We traded equipment, then went on to talk about the farm I live on, crime around the farming area versus the city where he lived, all sorts of things. A real pleasure and great conversation. So ppl are just hard to enter into a conversation, especially if they are just interested in the wallpaper. My two cents worth.

10. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly why I prefer the PSK conversations. Once you get the RST and station macros over and done with, you can move on to things of interest. Had some great QSOs with old timers who have given up phone and CW due to hearing loss and we discuss everything from weather to history. One guy was working remote from the retirement home, which was kinda cool, and another was sitting in his RV at the camp ground waiting on dinner. He found it interesting we were working portable in a park sitting at a picnic bench watching the squirrels run around.
  11. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What did I do wrong now???
  12. AE5DX

AE5DX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I like PSK quite a bit. I'm still new at it and get a bit "jumpy" on the keys. I find it easier to skip the macros and just type. Fixin' to put the S line on PSK and see how it works.
  13. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

I love on that other sites equipment reviews. Some people must/will tell you how many other radios/stuff they have while reviewing a particular piece of gear. Not a compare and/or contrast mind you, just what they have...Are these the type of people to which you refer?
  14. N6MEJ

N6MEJ Ham Member QRZ Page

15. N8CPA

N8CPA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Along those same lines, what I've noticed, when you see pictures of hams in their stations, digital and CW ops tend to be operating, and phone ops mug for the camera.
  16. KB3ZGV

Yeah that is part of it. Along with all the other what I have, or the way I do it is best kinda stuff.
  17. KB3ZGV

It's not ALL about you :)

Besides, women are more likely to be histrionic or some other related cluster-b disorder.
  18. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

See it's all my fault..........
  19. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, like I've said before, some folks like to describe every mouse turd and dust particle in their shack. And the ones with the formerly fat wallets get really upset when you give them an honest signal report and not 59+.
  20. K1OIK

K1OIK Ham Member QRZ Page

Most end it right there, at the basics
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.