AM Rally -- waiting for results

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation - AM Fans' started by WA3VJB, Apr 14, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Was searching around for any early results of the AM Rally from the other weekend, and found a link to a 2015 iteration that draws a strong comparison with this year's event.

I know that this time there were dozens and dozens of stations whose operators wouldn't characterize themselves as being on AM regularly, but who responded to event callups and took part in the rally all the same. That's a cool sign of success that I hope will be reflected in the final tally.

The link below, and the embedded link to their PDF newsletter, describe an event that seems much more oriented toward people who already are on AM. Some familiar calls in there! Many I worked this latest time too. Back then, the numbers are smaller, for sure, but the 2015 event did not enjoy the widespread promotion and outreach that we saw ahead of the most recent rally.

Looking forward to seeing the results.

http://n8sdr.com/index.php/planned-active-contests/38-2015-am-rally-results

2. WA1QIX

WA1QIX Ham Member QRZ Page

The deadline for logs was this past weekend, April 15th. So now we will enter all of the paper logs, correct (or try to correct) any errors or inconsistencies in emailed logs, verify the logs that were created with the AM Rally logging software, and finally run the results! Results will be posted in this forum, on AM Fone and on the AM Rally web site.

Preliminary results show a lot of participation. There are around 80 logs that have been received - which is more than any other AM event in at least my 45 year history in ham radio. The 2011 AM Transmitter Rally had a very high level of participation, so it will be interesting to see if this event tops that one with respect to number of QSOs and unique call signs logged.

We'll know soon enough ;)

Regards, Steve

KF7TLL and WA3VJB like this.
  3. KF7TLL

KF7TLL Ham Member QRZ Page

I did get lucky and work WW2IND during the event... But W1AW wasn't even a whisper here on the left coast

4. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

I understand that W1AW operated 20M for a bit although I would never hear them on that band this close in.

There are some great ideas for the next AM Rally thanks to feedback from this year's participants.

WA3VJB likes this.
  5. WB1GCM

WB1GCM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, W1AW was on 20 meters between 1750 and 2014 UTC at 14.285 MHz. The band only briefly opened to the west coast around 1805 to 1815; c a couple of CA stations and a WA station worked. The band then shortened up to the midwest. Worked Bob Heil, K9EID, too. Many contacts were made with stations is the south, especially Florida before the band quit.

WB1GCM

6. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Are we talking about tallying "points" to determine a winner? I bet 99% of AM operators don't care about winners and losers. The only thing I'd find interesting is a list of stations and their equipment. I see competition as a concept for slopbucketeers and plastic radios.

K4KYV likes this.
  7. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

We are all winners on AM, my view.

But I agree with the idea of a metric to assess the level of interest and participation in events like this, which take time & sometimes money to promote.

Historically, I don't find much of a match between what I will call the "AM way of operating" and that of contesting. So the use of points & quantity of contacts has not been a good way to measure interest. The best for us is usually an observation of activity -- people enjoying themselves on AM.

In this case, we had an event that was promoted to the general community of licensed radio hobbyists, most of whom are familiar with what contesting involves, even if they aren't contesters. I believe it would be less likely that these same folks would be aware of the lack of emphasis among AMers of the contest mentality. So, why not utilize something like a points measurement, that might translate from general interest.

I don't know why the ARRL feels compelled to quantify participation in various aspects of the hobby. Maybe they think that's the best way to apportion their resources. We can cooperate with that sort of assessment and certainly help them establish any basis they need to include us at levels that match reality. It's what many of us have expected from them for years, in exchange for our support of the ARRL.

N1BCG likes this.
  8. WZ5Q

WZ5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Bah! Humbug!
    I am too Jaded from past experiences with that so called "organization".
    I wrote them off a long time ago.
    They are dead to me.

9. N1BCG

Really? That's a shame given the notably remarkable changes that have occurred since the new CEO took over. A few examples... The nightly 40M bulletin broadcast is now utilizing AM on 7290... It was the ARRL's suggestion, not mine, that the 95th 1BCG anniversary include an AM station (Joe Walsh's Viking Valiant & National NC-303) along with CW and SSB... The AM Rally was embraced by the ARRL on the condition that it be inclusive and educational regardless of the primary interests of the operators... W1AW operated on AM throughout the event, utilizing a range of equipment from 1950's boat anchors to a DYY Class D solid state transmitter and software defined receiver.

I just don't see the justification for protecting obsolete grudges as though they hold some value.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  10. N1BCG

There was an April 15 deadline for log submissions yet they continue to arrive. Posting results, even at this point, could leave out significant numbers. To be fair to others, though, there will need to be a cutoff as there is a lot of interest in how things turned out.

I'm hearing *a lot* of new AM operators since the event, which is fantastic, and it shows that the intended goals had been accomplished.

As for the ARRL, I can see why they're interested in the numbers. Not so much for their own justifications, but for those who continue to dismiss AM as a past technology.