ad: M2Ant-1

AM power

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation - AM Fans' started by N2RDQ, May 15, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Sometimes station personnel are not even aware of a violation until the FCC inspects and finds, for example, some trivial irregularity in the Public File. The station may be hit with a big fine without any opportunity to first, correct the violation. Maybe a previous employee forgot to file some arcane piece of paper with the proper date, or deliberately removed a page from a file and failed to put it back.

Intentionally running over power, waiting until the ball game is over before cutting to night-time power, operating off frequency, intentionally falsifying an FCC application, over-modulating, neglecting to replace tower lights and other violations of that sort are inexcusable. But minor paperwork irregularities can happen even to one who tries their best to comply with the rules.

Sometimes it's a matter of second-guessing what the inspector wants to see, for example regarding EEO rules. I recall reading in RadioWorld a few years ago about a small station that claimed compliance by listing an employee, a recent immigrant from Spain, as "Hispanic", to satisfy a requirement to actively promote ethnic diversity in staffing. The FCC inspector cited the station, saying that the Spanish employee was "European", not Hispanic, and thus did not count. Instead of merely advising station management that the the Spaniard did not meet FCC standards for being an ethnic "minority", the station was issued a "forfeiture". Now, how could anyone, in good faith, guess ahead of time that an FCC inspector would not consider someone from Spain as being Hispanic? How could one be more Hispanic than to hail from Spain?

It's unfortunate that the FCC has become so lax in enforcement of the amateur rules that certain miscreants can openly operate for months or even years with apparent impunity, but we should be thankful they are not so pernickety with hams as they once were, when even a minor slip-up like going 15 seconds over the 10-minute ID requirement could result in a pink ticket. However, they generally seemed forgiving for one particularly common violation, harmonic radiation from Novice stations, which usually resulted in a warning notice the first time, rather than an immediate formal notice of violation.

WD4IGX, AC0OB and N6YW like this.
  2. W7TFO

W7TFO Subscriber QRZ Page

Simple: Hams don't radio to make a living. BC'ers do.

Then again, in over 30 years working in the Phoenix market, not one engineer has been fined by the FCC, and violations were pretty rare; due to widespread participation in the AI program.

73DG

3. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

To the OPs question.

375 watts AM carrier does not equal 1500 watts P.E.P. or equate to legal limit except when using a lab modulation single tone source. Another exception would be very limited audio bandwidth.

Anyone who has used AM on the ham bands more than 5 minutes has seen this for themselves if they looked.

Beware of advice found online. There are certain individuals who have proven their gripes and feuds are more important than honest, complete technical text.

When you fire up that MLA-2500 be sure to have an envelope display working. It will help set levels in spite of what some dizzy people might say.

It helps to look at an envelope display of AM broadcast stations to become fully acquainted with a desirable waveform. A wideband receiver's final I.F. provides a good place to look.

4. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

And I'm sure, at least in the minds of some FCC personnel, we are a nuisance that they would be happy to see go away.

5. WB2GCR

WB2GCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Except perhaps during a serious emergency, when suddenly ham radio become important?
    (for a short while, anyhow)

6. W7TFO

W7TFO Subscriber QRZ Page

Benign neglect works for me.

73DG

7. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

And the time I heard one with some interesting programming.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/12/22/pirate.radio/

8. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

The time I heard one with interesting programming was late on a Friday night when I was stuck in airport traffic in the New York City area. Tuning around, I found most of the professional bankruptcy stations (Cumulus, iHeart, etc) playing voice-tracked programming. Shoe-horned between the city stations were a dazzling assortment of pirates. One DJ was back-announcing the last set and teasing a chance to win tickets to a club “coming up after the traffic”. Sure enough, a (sponsored) traffic report came on and detailed the reason for the backup I was in with great precision and accuracy.

This was followed by a call-in-to-win segment for tickets to the live b’cast at a club featuring the pirate station beginning at midnight.

Quite remarkable.

9. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you actually get your answer as to why you cannot just add powers together like you suggest?
    I am loth to intervene here as AM power measurements seem to be a very emotive subject in the USA.
    Frank

10. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

deleted