ad: UR5CDX-1

AM Activity Now!

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N6YW, Apr 25, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. W7DCM

W7DCM Ham Member QRZ Page

I took today off from work so that I could chase sporadic E on 6 and 10. I'll be spot checking and calling CQ on 50.400 from time to time today and for the rest of the weekend. I realize sideband is heavily favored amongst the phone ops, but I'd like to see what I can do on AM.

AC0OB and N6YW like this.
  2. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

I spoke with Dennis, N0SP in Golden Co. and Kevin, WA6JKN in Gilroy Ca., on 14.330 before the band went short (about 9:45 CDST).

I never liked DST either. Let's go down to 2 time zones for the US with the Rocky Mountains separating the two for about 5 years, and then abandon the "zones" altogether.

Pheel

3. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Now, in some states where people are fed up with switching clocks, they want to stay on DST year round. IMO a wrong-headed approach. The sun should be at its highest point in the sky at 12:00 noon, give or take a half hour or so if you live near the eastern or western edge of the time zone.

Michigan has double DST. Back during WWII, the whole country went to what they called "War Time", advancing the clocks an hour year round (for whatever that was supposed to accomplish). When the war was over, MI decided to keep advanced time by switching from Central to Eastern time. When they started the DST nonsense nationwide, MI did not opt out, and now advances their clock still another hour in summer.

4. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

The last time I had the Valiant on 20M it set an antenna knife switch on fire.

Imagine that. First time ever that smoke and flames emanated from *outside* a Valiant during use.

N6YW, AC0OB, K0OKS and 1 other person like this.
  5. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

5;16am EDT, 3885Kc Sunday. Just fired up for the Florida AM gathering, get the frequency conditioned.

6. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Good turnout for the Fla AM Net. Anchor station was Rick WB4UIB who started reliably hearing locals by 6:45. There was just enough long propagation that I could stay in there until about 7:15 as the sun came up. Got to say hey to a variety of the regulars. Checked in with netlogger.org to fill in some gaps from static and thin signals.

Attached Files:

7. AC0OB

I am seriously wondering if we will ever get decent propagation on 75m this winter.

It could change but of late it seems atmospheric noise and QSB has really been rampant.

Pheel

8. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

I have never heard the band so sparsely populated as so far this season. Right in prime evening hours even nights when atmospheric noise is low, there is a dearth of signals. No AM no SSB no nothing between 3850 and 3900. Even the slopbucket groups between 3892 and 3900 conspicuous by their absence. But most evenings I have been able to eventually raise a contact and signals were good, even though deep QSB has been prominent. Skip too long, or just nobody on?

Under these conditions 160 should be at its best, but few signals heard there, either.

9. AC0OB

From my QTH I hear traffic (on both the vertical and the beverage antenna) all over the band.

Its just that the signals come and go sporadically regardless of time at evening, have deep fades, and lots of noise.

Signals from formerly strong stations like Don's are weak and noisy.

Pheel

10. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

40 meters was great and very active today.
    Rain in the East must have had people get on...