ad: elecraft

Alternate meaning for "dit dit"?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KE5FRF, Sep 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KE5FRF

KE5FRF Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmm,

I ran into something I've never "seen" before. I tuned to a frequency and listened for a minute, heard nothing, called "QRL?" as I always do, nothing heard. Another moment, "QRL? de KE5FRF" as I always do the second time, nothing heard. I call CQ a few times, repeat my call a few times. I hear "dit dit" during the pause. I send "?" and I get a "dit dit" again, very strong signal. I am thinking someone is playing games, so I call CQ again 3 CQs, my call twice. I hear a faint station and it sounds like they are responding but I couldn't make it out. I send "sri QRN, QRN agn?" and I hear the station faintly again, and then another station calls THEM. I hear "dit dit" again a few moments later.

All of this is zero beat, not off at the edge of my filter or DSP.

I always get a little "upset" at myself when I think I might have caused QRM to a QSO, and since I didn't copy what the "faint" station was sending I have no idea if I might have had a sudden propagation shift that brought another QSO out of the noise. I wonder about the "dit dit" I was hearing. Could this possibly be another listening station that was trying to tell me I was interfering?

I'm definitely not beyond learning a new protocol that I've never heard of before. Maybe the "dit dit" was a polite way of "tap tapping" me on the shoulder and telling me to be quiet?

2. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The only "dit dit" protocol I've ever heard is at the end of a QSO when you sign SK and send Dit Dit to close out the QSO. Doubt there's anything to what you heard.

............Bob

3. KE5FRF

Yeah, of course and I'm a "dit ditter" at the end of a QSO. You are probably right, probably nothing to it...just gave me pause.

4. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

If I miss what I'm pretty sure is a CQ (like they send 2 K's at the end) then I will send one dit, rare two then almost always people go straight to calls and the QSO takes off.

5. AB1GA

AB1GA Ham Member QRZ Page

For the authoritive answer we'll have to wait for the OTs to check in, but it could have been an old alternative, not quite legal, for checking to see if a frequency was available.

I'm certain 'STH or KL7AJ will be able to enlighten us shortly.

6. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

There used to be a similar protocol used on 2 meter FM, such as when someone signed "I will be clear after your final". This was a means to let the other station know you copied his last transmission. In FM this was given as single quick blank carrier transmission (dit).

fp

7. KE5FRF

The "dit dit" to signify "Bye bye" or "Copied last TX" or however you want to define it is not what I'm referring to here. I am quite aware of what that particular protocol means (thats why I asked about an "alternate" meaning).

It was kind of weird how when I called CQ and then listened I heard the "dit dit". I was convinced but possibly mistaken that this was somone playing a game with me on the air, because I heard nothing else but a repeated "dit dit" and no response when I sent "?" other than another "dit dit".

It wasn't til after the second CQ that I heard another station, and then a possible third station called the weak station and they possibly QSYed...and then nothing else heard. I didn't transmit again for fear of interference with a QSO or a net or something. I think propagation has been a little unusual the past few days and I might have just fallen into one of those oddball situations where signals come out of nowhere and then fade back into nothing. The "dit dit" was still unusual, and I had a "gut" feeling that someone was just trying to let me know (without sending some thing intrusive themselves) that a QSO was in progress...

Or another possibility that just dawned on me is that there might have been a split operation going on somewhere. Anyway, not important just odd.

8. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

My gut feel is it was someone who wanted you to change frequency, for whatever reason, and didn't want to identify. Similar to voice, "the frequency is in use" or in the CB language "OHhhhhhhhhLaaaa"!

fp

9. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

It could have been a response from a "being" far out in the galaxy, Ha ha. More likely its just someone having a bit of fun, it does occasionally happen these days, even among those who "pound" brass.

G0GQK

10. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

When we work split, we don't Dit Dit.

Sincerely,

Johnny Cochran

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.