Alpha 87 Amplifier Craigslist Orlando Scam!

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KA7NIQ, May 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KA7NIQ

KA7NIQ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a scam. This is an Alpha 87 for 1000.00, LOL
    I replied to this, and I got the following email back. I wonder how many others did too. The ad has been on CL for over a week!

Alpha 87A HF Automatic Linear Amplifier - $1000 (Orlando)
    Date: 2011-05-19, 2:27PM EDT
    Reply to: sale-akyjq-2390718112@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
    Fully automatic HF amplifier covering all amateur bands, 160 m through 10 m, including the WARC bands. , this is a late model Alpha 87A that runs a full legal limit, 1500 W, on all bands and has been fully upgraded and refurbished at the factory. This automatically tuned amplifier uses 2 3CX800 tubes and has been fitted at the factory with a new front panel and new cover - it looks brand new. The amplifier also has the external fan installed. 6 month warranty on the amplifier and the tubes from RF Concepts.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

image 0 image 1
    image 2 image 3
    PostingID: 2390718112

Here is the email I sent the scammer, and his reply.

This sender is DomainKeys verified
    "Allen McGonnigle" <allen.mcgonnigle@gmail.com>
    Add sender to Contacts
    To:
    "Chris Tucker" <ka7niq@yahoo.com>
    Hello,

I still have the Alpha 87A HF Automatic Linear Amplifier for sale at the price of US$1000.00. I am currently out of country because I work with "Save The Children Foundation" and I am traveling a lot all over the world, where children needs my help. I am now in United Kingdom and I will have to stay here for at least 6 months. If you still want to buy it, we can do it with the help of a very good shipping company - www.parcelforce.com . You will have 10 days inspection period to make sure it is in like new condition. I will pay all shipping fees. If you are interested in buying this, just let me know and I will provide all complete details on how this transaction will work.

Thanks
    Allen

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 10:29 PM, Chris Tucker <ka7niq@yahoo.com> wrote:

Call me about the old Alpha 813 655 8777 Chris Ka7niq
    http://orlando.craigslist.org/ele/2390718112.html

Chris Tucker
    Owner - Apple Roof Cleaning
    President - Brandon Singles
    813 - 655 - 8777
    www.saferoofcleaning.com
    www.brandonsingles.com

2. NZ4X

NZ4X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Save the Children Foundation"- I love the way these scammers are getting so creative.:)

3. KA7NIQ

I have tried flagging the ad on craigslist, no luck!
    What he wants of course, is for us to send him the money overseas, for an amp that will never arrive. An amp he don't even own.

4. AD6KA

AD6KA Ham Member QRZ Page

Besides the ridicuously low price, the seller ads:
    Inspection period? LOL!
    FREE international shippping...and BOTH WAYS? LOL!

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Since he says the amp is in Orlando, why not just tell him you'll buy it and pick it up in Orlando, and pay for it there when you pick it up? No shipping required, no worries about freight costs, etc. Simple transaction.

If you offer this you'll probably never hear from him again, but I'd take a shot.

6. KA7NIQ

Here is what the email says - I still have the Alpha 87A HF Automatic Linear Amplifier for sale at the price of US$1000.00. I am currently out of country because I work with "Save The Children Foundation" and I am traveling a lot all over the world, where children needs my help. I am now in United Kingdom and I will have to stay here for at least 6 months. If you still want to buy it, we can do it with the help of a very good shipping company - www.parcelforce.com . You will have 10 days inspection period to make sure it is in like new condition. I will pay all shipping fees. If you are interested in buying this, just let me know and I will provide all complete details on how this transaction will work.

The "amp" is supposedly overseas, not in Orlando. I am near Tampa, and could drive there, Tampa is only an hour away from Orlando.

Thanks
    Allen

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I get it, but I'm also a really good reader and the Craigslist ad said: LOCATION: ORLANDO, FL. which means the item for sale, regardless of the silly e-mails, should be in Orlando. If the item is not in Orlando, that violates Craigslist rules, and I'd report him simply for that. You can't say an item is in Orlando when it's someplace else.

I didn't see anywhere in his e-mails where the "seller" said the amplifier is in the U.K., or anywhere at all. He talked about shipping, but that means nothing to me. I'd call his bluff and say, "I'm in Orlando, give me the address, and I'll go pick it up!"

8. KA7NIQ

I understand what you are saying:)
    Orlando is the 407 area code, Tampa is the 813 area code.
    Here is the email I sent him, that he replied to.

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 10:29 PM, Chris Tucker <ka7niq@yahoo.com> wrote:

Call me about the old Alpha 813 655 8777 Chris Ka7niq
    http://orlando.craigslist.org/ele/2390718112.html

Chris Tucker
    Owner - Apple Roof Cleaning
    President - Brandon Singles
    813 - 655 - 8777
    www.saferoofcleaning.com
    www.brandonsingles.com

My 813 area code is repeated twice, so he knows I am only an hour away. I could easily drive to inspect the amp, why pay shipping ?
    Everyone here in Florida knows each others area codes, he knows where I am at.
    Every Ham reading this thread should go to craigslist link and FLAG this ad. I have been trying to do it everyday.

9. AD6KA

AD6KA Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe ask for his cell phone number and REAL Email, as
    you are tired of going through Craig's List and want to ask
    him some questions....just for laughs and grins.
    He'll no doubt come up with some lame other excuses.
    Also ask him for the amp's serial number and other stuff.
    (Weight, dimensions, size of box, etc),
    Are you the original owner, etc.
    But only put ONE new question per email to string him along. :p

The idea is to keep him busy thinking you REALLY ARE going
    to buy the amp. Any time spent corresponding with with and
    wasting time with you is time away he could spend on a real victim.

IP Addy traces are sometimes fun....sometimes useless.

Have you talked payment yet? He'll want Western Union no doubt!
    Then tell him you went with your wad of cash to the Western Union Office.
    There was a sign on the wall that said "NEVER send money by WU to strangers".
    So you got nervous and backed out.
    Then tell him you want to do an International Wire Transfer to his bank account.
    (Tell him not to forget the SWIFT CODE, that way he will know you have
    done this before, so he wont have to hold your hand through the process.)
    If he gives it to you, report it to the authorities like IP3, etc.

I love playing with these scammers and wasting their time! :D

10. KA7NIQ

Hey, the man who emailed me back about this amplifier says his name is Allen McGonnigle, any way we could see if a Ham Radio License is associated wih that name ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.