ad: MLSons-1

All WX Solar Powered Field Station

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Nov 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. N4IY

N4IY Ham Member QRZ Page

Julian,

That is a great project that you have there. Thank you for posting this information.

I hope for more posts and success from you in the near future.

Terry, N4IY

2. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am using a similar setup.

FT-817 here with a LiFePo4 / BMS and my Global Solar (P3) 42 watt 2.5 amp military issue solar panel shown below.

[​IMG]

This is the extremely rugged, mil spec. ultralight solar panel used by the US Marines in Iraq and Afghanistan.

[​IMG]

I think this P3 / Global Solar military solar panel is probably the best portable solar panel technology money can buy.

In terms of charging the LiFePo4 battery, I am using an MPPT solar controller with my setup.

An MPPT charge controller will actually improve the charging efficiency of the solar panel by a significant margin especially in situations where there are less than ideal light conditions.

So if you are looking to maximize and harvest as much power as possible while reducing losses from you portable solar panel setup, please check it out...

https://www.solar-electric.com/lear...d-charging/mppt-solar-charge-controllers.html

Great videos and I really enjoy reading your online articles.

Thanks Julian and 72 / 73!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    AK5B and US7IGN like this.
  3. WW4FL

WW4FL Ham Member QRZ Page

Great article and video. I think that this set up will be not only good for emergency operations but most any SOTA or IOTA or related activations where staying out of the weather is good. I will definitely be checking out the website. Have fun and keep it up. 73 De` Jesse - AA4OM

4. N4AAB

N4AAB Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting as sitting up on a ridge like that you can be seen for miles.

5. KG5RBF

KG5RBF Ham Member QRZ Page

Julian,
    Love the vids keep them coming! You have helped me a great deal trying to set up a solar powered man portable station myself. I should have my setup up and running by the end of December. I've also been watching your vids on how your set up for digital modes. That's my next endeavor so I'm taking notes!

It's cool to watch operators getting out in the field who put so much thought and planning into the quality of their gear.
    Rob

6. KM4DYX

KM4DYX Ham Member QRZ Page

Its the Marines. If there was anybody within miles that was a threat to them they would have already killed them. And anybody around them.

Al

AK5B and K6MTS like this.
  7. WD9FYF

WD9FYF Ham Member QRZ Page

Our local club provided a member to a Red Cross mission to Puerto rico for Hurricane Maria. All members used WinLink for data communications since there was no data comms on Puerto Rico at all. The closest link was in Florida, but WinLink worked.

Enjoyed reading rest of the posting.

Harry Seyfert, WD9FYF

8. WA4RAC

WA4RAC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

At 68 I’m not looking for a on my back Station. Instead I have been converting a cargo trailer into a portable comm’s station that I can hook up to and take anywhere I can go. I have a 500 watt solar system charging 8 6volt golf car batteries. I live in Florida and the system has run a week during the last hurricane. I use 4 batteries for the house and four for the radios. I also have a 4000 watt generator for emergencies. My trailer has two operating positions, a dinette/bed, refrigerator, coffee pot and microwave. As long as the sun shines I can operate until the food runs out. My home ham shack is also solar powered with commercial, ang generator backup.

I love what you are doing but I have to operate how I can. I would not be of any good if I walked in and collapsed. We all have to work under our limitations. Keep up the good work. By the way where did you get the ALE dipole?

9. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Any chance you could provide a link to his video? I have searched "Videosbymike" to no avail.

A link or more info would really be appreciated as I'm about to spring for some Bioenno gear soon.

Jeff