All Sold! Drake TR-4C, MN-4, AC-4 --- (multiple items)

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Gear For Sale' started by K5URU, Jul 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K5URU

K5URU Ham Member QRZ Page

The time has come to sell my beloved Drakes. :(

At this time, the transceivers are for local pickup only. For any of the other items, buyer pays shipping (and insurance, if requested).

As for the transceivers, I would prefer local pickup near my QTH in Austin, TX, but I would be willing to drive a few hours to meet you halfway if need be. They will also be available for pickup during the Austin Summerfest on August 5-6 2016, if they haven't sold before then.

I will share with you everything I know about the condition of this gear, but I cannot offer any type of warranty. All of this gear, except for two of the power supplies, DOES WORK, but may need adjustment, alignment, and/or minor repair.

I have tried to set fair prices, but I am open to reasonable offers. I accept PayPal (or cash if picking up).
    Prices DO NOT INCLUDE SHIPPING.

General questions: feel free to contact me via email OR post in this thread.

For shipping quotes: please contact me via email:
    blake.ormand@gmail.com

Due to the 10 image limit, the photos of the power supplies will be in the next post.

Items A-H.jpg

Item A: Drake TR-4C transceiver $350
    This transceiver is in fantastic shape, with a clean face plate, new knobs, and very nice internals. The receiver is excellent, and I've made contacts all over the world with it. There are, however, two minor problems: 1. The T/R relay sometimes gets stuck and should be repaired or replaced. 2. It seems that the transceiver is not delivering full power. Otherwise, the radio performs admirably and is a lot of fun to use. All knobs have been recently replaced. Serial number 37092 indicates a manufacture date in early 1974. No noise blanker or optional filters.

Item A1.jpg

Item A3.jpg
    Item A4.jpg

Item B: MS-4 speaker $60
    Very nice speaker and cabinet with textured paint. In great shape.

Item B.jpg

Item C: AC-4 power supply $125
    Working power supply with the updated caps/boards installed. Two-prong plug. See photo in next post.

Item D: Astatic D-104 microphone on G stand $40
    This is the unamplified version of the D-104 and includes a transmit toggle switch in addition to the squeeze-type PTT lever. All the chrome is in great shape.

Item D.jpg

Item E: Drake TR-4C transceiver $300
    This transceiver has worked well for me, but recently started transmitting just a bit off frequency. Also, intermittently, I have to push the PTT to click the relay into tuning mode (simply selecting CW mode sometimes won't begin the transmit process). However, this radio does transmit, as confirmed by several SSB contacts within the past few weeks. The receiver works just fine on all bands. The faceplate is pretty nice, with one tiny blemish in the Plate knob's printed scale (at #6). The internal cover for the final section is also missing. The inside is otherwise in decent shape, but not as nice as the other TR-4C. All knobs have also been recently replaced. Serial number 38772 indicates production in late 1974 or early 1975. No noise blanker or optional filters.

Item E1.jpg
    Item E3.jpg
    Item E4.jpg

Item F: MS-4 speaker $60
    Another nice speaker and cabinet with textured black paint, but with an aftermarket cord.

Item F.jpg

Item G: AC-4 power supply $50
    Non-functional power supply but with the upgraded caps/boards. When using this power supply, the TR-4C main power light comes on, but nothing else happens. It was working fine in January 2016. Two-prong plug. See photo in next post.

Item H: AC-4 power supply $50
    Non-functional power supply with all original internals. Radios will not turn on when using this PS. Two-prong plug. See photo in next post.

Thank you for looking!

Blake K5URU
    Austin, TX

2. K5URU

Photos of power supplies:

Item C.jpg

Item G.jpg

Item H.jpg

Thanks,

Blake K5URU

3. WX8NN

WX8NN Ham Member QRZ Page

Blake; I read ur article thourougly and understand condx of P/U etc. However, I am interested and if sale does process, I will need to hv shipped to Detroit area.
    please keep me in mind as an interested party .. Thank You, Andy, WX8NN

4. WX8NN

WX8NN Ham Member QRZ Page

Articles of Interest : Item A, B, D, and H ..... Thanks Agn, Andy, WX8NN

5. K5URU

Hi Andy, I'll send an email to you directly to see if we can work something out for shipping/transport of the transceiver and accessories. One thing I forgot to mention is that the handwriting on the other side of the inspection tag on Item H does in fact match its serial number. Pretty cool. Thanks for your interest. I'll talk to you soon.

I should also make a clarification - the VFO knob was not replaced on either of the TR-4C's, but all 9 little black knobs on were replaced on each. Sorry for the confusion.

Other shoppers, please consider these Items (A, B, D, H) on hold for now pending logistics/sale. Other items are still available. I will continue to update this thread.

73 de K5URU

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  6. WB2HIZ

WB2HIZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Blake, My Name Is Steven Would like too know if all The Drake TR-4c is Still for Sale ?
    and If so could you call me on my Cell Phone Number Please (561) 601-1446
    My Call Is WB2HIZ and I am From West Palm Beach, FLORIDA
    Thank you so much,
    Steven Kaplan or you can E-Mail at kaplan.steven267 atgmail.com

7. N4XCE

N4XCE Ham Member QRZ Page

If the power transformer is good in the two nonworking power supplies I would buy one or both of them.Please let me know and give me a shipping cost for each power supply.I can pay by Paypal.Thanks David N4XCE

8. NE2I

NE2I XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you going to the austin hamfest? If they are left Id be interested in the power supplies (all) and the D104

George NE2I

9. K5URU

Quick update...
    Pending deals: Items A, B, C, D, G, H
    Still available: Items E, F

@NE2I, I will be there at the Austin hamfest. I'll send you an email about the working power supply - you have first dibs on that. If for some reason, the other pending deals fall through, you're next in line for the other power supplies as well.

Thanks everybody for the overwhelming response and for your patience. I will try my best to stay on top of our communications.
    Blake K5URU

10. K5URU

New update.

No response from WX8NN, so the nice TR-4C is back on the market.

Sold: Items D, G, H (D-104, AC-4, AC-4)
    Pending: Item C (AC-4), working with NE2I

Still available:
    Item A: Excellent TR-4C transceiver $350
    Item B: Nice MS-4 speaker $60
    Item E: Decent TR-4C transceiver $300
    Item F: Nice MS-4 speaker $60
    (plus shipping)

ALL remaining items are now available to ship within the continental US.
    I'm still open to reasonable offers on the remaining items.
    Please contact me via email: blake.ormand@gmail.com

Thanks!
    Blake K5URU

11. QRZ
    Important Rules
    Have you read the Swapmeet Rules?

This forum enforces a set of buying/selling rules for the benefit of all users. Make sure that you're familiar with the rules before posting or replying in this area. Got questons? Contact our moderation team here...

All Sellers Must Be Verified As of July 1, 2019, only Verified Users are permitted to post in this forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.