ad: chuckmartin

ALL BOATANCHOR SHACK

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by WD0GOF, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WD0GOF

WD0GOF Ham Member QRZ Page

Hallicrafters came out with the T.T.O. Keyer "fully transistorized digital keyer" model HA-4. It was self completing. I think it was only produced for a year or two. The first year of production was 1961. It didn't sell well. The T.O. Keyer, HA-1 which was commonly paired with the vibroplex continued in production untill 1969. The T.T.O. is very rare.

2. W1GUH

W1GUH Ham Member QRZ Page

And isn't as pretty as the original! Matched my HA-5 VFO.

3. ND4JS

ND4JS Ham Member QRZ Page

This is my Nearly all boat anchor shack.

I love operating the old stuff with the glowing glass jars.

73 de kc4phr Jay

[​IMG]

4. N2YEV

N2YEV Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice Boatanchor collection...

Jay, I'm spying what appears to be a Heathkit VH-1 VFO on your top shelf that is not being used. Any chance you would consider selling it? I've been looking for one to use with my DX-100.;)

Let me know...

5. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

YEV:

Is the VFO in your DX-100 broken? The basic design is pretty much the same as the Heath VF-1 (not VH-1).

Glen, K9STH

6. N2YEV

N2YEV Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes Glen the DX-100 VFO is broken, and thanks for the typo correction, I seem to do that a lot when referring to the VF-1 (not VH-1):eek: HI!
    I seem to remember seeing or hearing a conversation about the two VFO's being either very similar to possibly identical. Thus, being a good source for either parts or use as an external.;)

7. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The basic circuit is the same. The placement of the band change switch is different since in the DX-100 there is a "cam" which changes the output from the VFO from 160-meters to 40-meters. 160-meter output is used on the 160-meter and 80-meter bands and the 40-meter output is used on 40, 20, 15, and 10-meter bands. There is a 3rd position which switches in a fixed capacitor to lower the 7 MHz signal to 6 MHz for the 11-meter band which, of course, is no longer an amateur radio band.

Unless the variable capacitor is damaged or one of the 2 coils are damaged, you will be much better off just repairing the VFO in the DX-100. All of the other parts are available from places like Mouser.

Glen, K9STH

8. SM7JKD

SM7JKD Ham Member QRZ Page

K9STH.. your shack photos.

Hi Glen,
    Enjoyed my trip down memory lane.. what a fantastic collection.
    My favourites were on the last picture: The Heath Twins, and the warrior.
    Thank you,
    David, SM7JKD.

9. ND4JS

ND4JS Ham Member QRZ Page

No, the vfo on the Johnson Viking II is a VFO1 and it is malfunctioning from time to time. I have a spare. J

10. KF7MJF

KF7MJF Ham Member QRZ Page

Very nice! I'm half heartedly looking for a 6m boat anchor, as my FT-107 does not have the 6m band on it. Decided I should have at least one radio that was obsolete before I was born (1980). I like stuff you can actually open up and work on, and tinker with. I figure one more oversized monster radio in my shack can't hurt. Plus I actually live on a boat, so I need a "boat anchor."

It is very nice to see pics and read the stories of these old radios still in active use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.