ALL BOATANCHOR SHACK

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by WD0GOF, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WA9CWX

WA9CWX Ham Member QRZ Page

One little aside....I am happy to see gear today on SHELVES..Remember when the standard operating proceedure was to put each new radio ON TOP of the last one, rubber feet or not, at least the sides got nicked and scratched, It was impossible at a hamfest to find any USED gear that didn't have at least some paint scrapped off, and any mention of paint scrapping got you a weird look from the seller...:D
    Of course today on ebay, it has gone over the other edge, every little bit of paint smudge is suspect, but still, I am happy the care of gear today has lead to concern over even the physical appearance of the cabinet.

Nice pics all.

Frank

2. WM5Q

WM5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

It's nothing super impressive, but here's my shack. Heavy metal on the left, hybrid on the right. Ignore the Yaesu 897 on the far right; it's only there temporarily to try things out before FD.

3. WB0SND

WB0SND XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here are some other boat anchors....or sinkers. I actually got on the air on 40 cw tonight with the VikingII and NC 240-D. The NC-240 D reminded of my Novice days when I used an Heathkit HR-10B and heard everyone in the band.....at one time. It was a blast!

4. WD0GOF

WD0GOF Ham Member QRZ Page

Beautiful shack

Nice collection, you probably have more $$$ in AC distribution than I have in my entire shack.

73's Walt

5. WA2ROC

WA2ROC Ham Member QRZ Page

My vintage Boatanchor shack

Mostly Heathkit.

HX-10 Marauder vintage 1966, RX-1 Mohawk vintage 1962, TX-1 Apache vintage 1961. AK-5 speaker vintage 1961, Heath HO-10 Monitor Scope vintage 1963, 2040 tuner vintage 1970(?), HD-1410 electronic keyer vintage 1970 (?), and Hallicrafters SX-111 vintage 1959. The Heath SWR bridge and SB-10 are now gone.

All units work perfectly and have not been modified in any way other than new electrolytics and maybe a tube or two.

I'm using a full wave 80 meter loop up about 40' in the air.

Dick WA2ROC
    Durham, NC

6. NS8N

NS8N Ham Member QRZ Page

Great looking shack. Boatanchors certainly have an appeal for me even though I didn't grow up with them (born in '82 --licensed in '99). I've only owned a couple pieces of equipment thus far that would qualify (Heathkit SB-200 and an old Swan tube-type CB radio, can't even remember the model). Anyways, whats appealing to me is the build quality. They were built like Russian T-72s! Rigs built today simply cannot compare.

I've often thought about assembling a boatanchor station but simply never know where to start. For instance, you OTs can probably easily discern the difference between Halli's, Heath, Drake, National, etc. To me however, other than paint jobs, they are all the same. I have no idea which is "high end" or "low end". I don't know the "quirks" for all of these rigs. They also hold no nostalgia value for me. For these reasons I will probably never assemble an old station.

But the appeal is still there.

7. WD0GOF

WD0GOF Ham Member QRZ Page

How do you use your SX-111. That is my favorit of all the "H" receivers.
    73 Walt

8. WA2ROC

WA2ROC Ham Member QRZ Page

SX-111

I use it to "scan around" another band while I am listening to the Mohawk. If there's no activity on the one I am using, I'll switch and go to the other.

I'm actually looking for an HT-37 to pair up with the SX-111.

9. K7AV

K7AV Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's my boat anchors.

First my HQ-129X and T-150. The HQ-129X needs filter capacitors, and who knows what else. I do have a new front panel for it though. The T-150 is untested.

[​IMG]

Here's my GR-81, a duplicate of my first radio that I built in 1965. It works quite well.

[​IMG]

My Ranger I, the closest I could get to my transmitter in 1969, which was actually a Valiant. I would have bought a Valiant now if I had the room. It looks great, but is untested.

[​IMG]

Hallicrafters S-40A, works pretty well.

[​IMG]

My DX-20 and RME-4300, which is a pretty close approximation of my novice station in 1968. In the lower level is the SB-301 and SB-401. Those were my primary rig in the late 70s, and last I checked (maybe 6 years ago) they worked quite well.

[​IMG]

10. W1GUH

W1GUH Ham Member QRZ Page

"A lot of these AM guys today are quite cliquish -- as well as running inflated California Kilowatt rigs -- so I may not have any luck with tube AM, anyway."

Don't know about present time, but when I was regularly active in the AM window, there were only a few individuals that came off like that. Almost all the others were really great and would spend hours helping others out. I'm itching and dyin' to get either my TR-3 or AF-67 on the air from the car. I tried with two rice boxes last year ('857, IC-720a) and, while I was readable & didn't get any nasty comments (they all were purly informational) I hated getting "yellowy" reports! ;)

OK...my fave boat-anchor station was my first, in '90. An Apache and HQ-180. Didn't have that on long enough. It was only a few months til I replaced that with a Valiant/Mohawk combo I got at a hamfest. The Valiant was fun, and the Mohawk was a nostalgic beauty -- but neither hit the "spot" of the original lash-up. One of my dreams it to get another Mohawk and mod it to sound and operate it like an SX-101 or NC-300!

BTW -- I've heard that the SX-117 is every bit as good as an SX-115. Any truth to that?

TO Keyers -- when I got one I found it impossible to send with an iambic paddle. When I found a Vibro-keyer it get a lot easier! Didn't realize the dits and dahs weren't self-completing, tho'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.