All About Sporadic-E Propagation

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N5HZR, Jul 15, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

I love 6# meters ! When its open it is MAGIC ! when its not its TRAGIC ! so far we have have a few real nice S2 openings. See you on 6# 73'Phil KI6PMD..

2. AC8SW

AC8SW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

3. AC8SW

AC8SW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

4. KJ8O

KJ8O Ham Member QRZ Page

My furthest station on FMBC (3 meters) was KGNZ 88.1 Amarillo Texas to Detroit Michigan at approx. 1,400 miles in July 2006. The opening was so big, it was even mentioned in the QST World Above 50 MHz article. The station was so loud, I though I was hearing a local, on my car radio no less.

KF4ZKU likes this.
  5. KJ8O

KJ8O Ham Member QRZ Page

Correction, Abilene, not Amarillo.+

6. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm thinking of Sporadic E clouds as if they are like the "Pacific Garbage Patch" of tin cans in the thermosphere.
    Those asteroid tourists tend to leave their trash all around as they party on through!
    The flotsam and jetsam collects in the eddies.

[​IMG]

KF4ZKU likes this.
  7. N4SL

N4SL Ham Member QRZ Page

Welcome to the Sufferin’ Sevens!
    Living in the NW corner of the US (WA & NW MT), 6m does open but we’ll also go a few years sometimes without. Last summer was good, this summer quite iffy.

8. 2E0FYR

2E0FYR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

[QUOTE="KQ6XA, Q: What do you call a female radio operator?.[/QUOTE]
    A: popular

KQ6XA likes this.
  9. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a very good point. Often, I'll see a GREAT sporadic E layer on our local ionosonde, but it doesn't help (unless you happen to be interested in NVIS 6 meters. :)

KQ6XA likes this.
  10. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is more than EVIDENCE....so-called Gravity Waves are very well documented.

KQ6XA likes this.