Alexa Teaches Morse Code

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N3HEE, Apr 22, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

It will work in Jamaica using English US settings.

2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I understood and understand.

Now to surreptitiously record my co-worker talking - then emailing the sound clip to someone with Alexa and Continuous Wave.

My money is on Alexa replying "WTF?"

Polite co-workers reply to the Jamaican, "What was that?"

The rest of us say, "Please repeat that in English this time."

;)

3. N3HEE

I see what you are saying. Yes, there are challenges with accents.

4. HB9FXW

HB9FXW Ham Member QRZ Page

Very nice app, congratulations Joe! It works great here in HB9-land (unfortunately we still don't have access to many skills/services).

Wouldn't it be cool if Alexa could understand morse code and we could have real full QSOs with her? Maybe one day...

5. N3HEE

Hi Zeb. Thanks for the kind words and skill review on Amazon. Glad to hear it's working in HB9. I have also thought about teaching Alexa Morse code. Maybe someday ?

6. G4WKW

G4WKW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Joe. Thanks for creating this Alexa skill, which I have been trying in the UK. As it happens, the character speed of 20 wpm is great for me and the skill is useful as it is now. I wonder if you might be considering developing an updated version with more functionality? Things that would be great to have would be a "Learn Words" mode where random words were sent, but Alexa would say the word in English after a reasonable (variable?) delay after the morse? It would also be great to be able to select a text file as a source for this too, if it could be uploaded somewhere for the skill to access it. Other "bells and whistles" could be selectable WPM for character speed and Farnsworth speed, although they are just right for me right now as you have them. 73 and thanks! Richard G4WKW.

7. N3HEE

Richard. Thanks using my skill and for your input. I've had similar feedback from other users. Programming an Alexa skill is quite different than programming software that runs on a computer. Some feature requests are easier than others. Some are just not possible. I will try to update the skill later this year when I have some time. Thanks -Joe

8. AA9G

AA9G Ham Member QRZ Page

I will probably never own an Alexa but this is cool nonetheless. :cool::cool::cool:

NE1U likes this.
  9. N3HEE

The Amazon Echo Dot (basic Alexa unit) will be on sale beginning July 16th for $34.99 Or you can try it free with your cell phone with the Amazon Shopping app installed. Either way you will have to register for a free Amazon Alexa account.