ad: dxeng

Alex I'll Take Medical Device Stupidity For $800.00

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by AF6LJ, Apr 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-Geochron
  1. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

It was bound to happen... When I first found about how some pacematers are tuned... Now we have insulin pumps that are aligned by way of a wireless connection. This is even dumber than putting aluminum in vaccines.
    Thank You Slashdot.org.....
    [h=2]McAfee Claims Successful Insulin Pump Attack[/h]
    judgecorp writes
    "Intel security subsidiary McAfee has claimed a successful wireless attack on insulin pumps that diabetics rely on to control blood sugar. While previous attempts to attack insulin pumps have met with mixed success, McAfee's Barnaby Jack says he has persuaded an insulin pump to deliver 45 days worth of insulin in one go, without triggering the pump's vibrating alert safety feature. All security experts still say that surgical implants are a benefit overall."

2. WN6U

WN6U Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah. To the implant makers and drug companies.

3. K9ASE

K9ASE Ham Member QRZ Page

Remind me again why I haven't asked for a Vegus nerve stimulator.

4. KC9IUX

KC9IUX Ham Member QRZ Page

Because what happens in Vegus stays in Vegus?

5. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Staff Member QRZ Page

Can't wait for the first wireless brain implants!!

6. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why not? We've already got the brainless wire implants....

7. WN6U

WN6U Ham Member QRZ Page

Uh, it may be too late. Modern medicine is good, but not that good! :)

8. KG4RRH

KG4RRH Ham Member QRZ Page

Mood modulation or seizure control? For migraines....not so good in my case.

9. KG4RRH

KG4RRH Ham Member QRZ Page

We've had them since the mid-90's. Early ones (... at least the ones I'm familiar with) used a inductive coupler but I think that they're mostly RF today, in the 400-500MHz range but I'm not current on the tech.

10. N5PVL

N5PVL Ham Member QRZ Page

Wireless brain implants are featured in this movie. - There's an instructional video near the end.

The Presidents Analyst: Look around 1:30:00 for the relevant section.

[video=youtube_share;0OEMSFx8pls]http://youtu.be/0OEMSFx8pls[/video]

Drifting off-topic for a moment; Have you ever noticed how everybody hates the phone company?

11. AF6LJ

That's Cute....
    Now can you come over and clean the coffee spray off my monitor.

12. AC4BB

AC4BB Ham Member QRZ Page

Medical devices like any others have things that are going to adversly affect their operation. I do insulin the old fashioned way. Works for me.

13. KJ6VCN

KJ6VCN Ham Member QRZ Page

Simply insane. I understand the desire to control these devices through RF, but a 90-meter range? That's just pointless. A doctor or EMT wouldn't need to be more than 1-m away to trigger a device. And no form of per-unit control? So, anyone within range with the codes can send out a signal that could kill tens of people, if not hundreds (if an attack was planned in a diabetic care center)?

I'm sure the health-care workers think it's "neat" to be able to track all of their patients conditions, but couldn't that just be done on a per-person basis? "Walk though the airport-scanner-like thing, give us your pin, and we'll check your status." Now that would allow much more security.

But even if we could control the security aspect 100% (and we can't and never will be able to), what about the RF exposure? Usually not such a big deal in small doses, but these devices transmit from inside the body. I'm not that knowledgeable on that topic, so someone will have to fill me in, but doesn't it seem just the slightest bit dangerous?

Moral of the story: I should probably start taking better care of myself before it's too late.

14. AF6LJ

If I were the engineer who decided on the standards these devices had to run under.
    I would require skin contact in order to change the settings of these devices.
    In other words the range would be limited to two inches above the skin.
    Beyond that the implanted device wouldn't be able to receive the signal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.