AISAT launch Apr 1

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by KC9SGV, Mar 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have my doubts about a "shared" antenna. What I DO believe is that the antenna may not be matched to the transceiver, thus resulting in poor RX (and even the Tx isn't very good).

what I do know, is that really nobody owes us any explanations. we can whine until the cows come home, but it aint going to change how we approach working the satellite. Better antenna and more power. :)

2. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Isn't that the purpose of forums and social media? :)

WD9EWK, AC0GT and K3RLD like this.
  3. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I never understood this "until the cows come home" saying. I grew up on a dairy farm and the cows learned real quick that at 4:30 they'd get fed and milked in the barn. They seemed to be able to keep pretty good time, and knew where "home" was, because at 4:30 every evening they'd be lined up at the barn door to file in. I'd open the door and if I didn't step out of the way fast enough then they'd push me aside to get in. To me "when the cows come home" meant 4:30PM.

4. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It is a peculiar idiom for those with a background in farming and ranching, especially since most livestock are very set in the ways (feeding time.)

However, I do believe that it's origin relates to more of an "escaped" cow's lack of desire to return home. (which can often be remedied by rattling a feed bucket with a few range cubes in it - ask me how I know)

5. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, exactly... it gets misused these days as meaning more like 'forever and a day' (another saying) but it goes back to around the early 1600s, when things were not on so much of timed schedule (translated - few deadlines) as they are today. Cows were milked in the morning and sent out to pasture for the day but would show back up that afternoon on their own. So, it basically meant, you could do whatever else you needed for the day until the cows showed up and it was time for milking... Which tended to mark the end of the work day and supper followed.

Simple translation... you can do 'insert activity here' until 'insert deadline here' happens...

English language... a bunch of words that mean different things to different people. Communicating has as much to do with 'cultural language' and 'content base' as it does what words are used. Tell some random stranger walking down the street that you are 'going home to ham it up' and see what kind of look you get. o_O:D

6. 9G5AR

9G5AR Ham Member QRZ Page

7. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

What exactly can we learn from AO-95? That it is deaf? How does that help? Everything that can be done is being done, but when the sat simply doesn't respond to anything, what is anybody to do? We don't even have a suitable space vehicle to take us to it, even if we had the hundreds of millions of dollars it would take to get a human up there.

8. K4BAD

K4BAD Ham Member QRZ Page

Well....I’ve learned not to take for granted successful launch and commissioning of the Fox series of sats.Another confirmation of “space is hard” Good luck with new ant......have fun!

W5PFG and K3RLD like this.
  9. KC9SGV

KC9SGV Ham Member QRZ Page

Sharing the 2m antenna...
    (APRS and AIS)
    IF this is the case, then...
    Hope suitable design and testing went on before the launch.

Even if two separate antennas are used, they might heavily interfere with each other on the same band.
    And if hundreds of AIS ship customers are beaconing through the sat, then the APRS system might be deafened by same band, close frequency interference.

Repeater builders know this...

http://www.repeater-builder.com/projects/2m-dup/dupfig13.jpg

http://www.repeater-builder.com/projects/2m-duplexer.html

One other solution might be to alternate the systems on and off.
    Thus no interference takes place system to system.
    If this is the case, then we simply do not know the APRS "on" schedule.
    It could be off over NA today and on again over NA tomorrow.

I wish we had better guidance.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  10. 9G5AR

9G5AR Ham Member QRZ Page

Screenshot 2019-04-06 at 12.43.57 AM.png
    https://amsat-uk.org/2018/12/09/fox-1cliff-ao-95-status/

As stated by Amsat... there's always something to learn.