ad: Schulman-1

Airspace?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KA3CNC, Apr 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: DLSpec-1
  1. W3ATV

W3ATV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

2. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Why were the trees cut down in the first place? Insect infestation?

I say "Don't do it" for this reason: Suppose the attorney you talk to says, "Sure, it's okay--you pay for property rights, not airspace", and you run the wire. Your neighbor sees it and files a lawsuit. Now you have to hire an attorney to defend you in court; even if you win, it will cost a lot more than you putting up a different antenna (on your property).

NH7RO likes this.
  3. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Gap DX Titan on the roof and it will all be within your property boundary.

NH7RO likes this.
  4. KA3CNC

KA3CNC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

yeah I get it.....I have decided not to string a wire antenna...my xyl said "why not put up something on the roof"?....what a great wife she is!!...this is probably what im going to do....I wanted to remain as stealth as possible...and I was until the trees were cut down....as I mentioned in another reply.. I knew where the wire antennas were and had I hard time finding them myself!!...as most of you know non hams feel that are antennas are eyesores....I was trying to be the out of sight out of mind thing...because you know how it works...when one of the neighbors gets a little line across his tv then..."it must be that guy with the big antenna causing the interference"....even though I don't think that is much of an issue with cable today. It looks like a roof mount in the future...what? I haven't decided yet.

5. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

How 'bout goin' mobile? With a Hi Q (not necessarily the brand) screwdriver, you can have a successful HF experience with an antenna that 1) neighbors can't say/do anything about. 2) participate in your usual HF activities with little reduction in signal. A well-installed mobile can often perform with a couple DB of the base stations. You'd be surprised at how an efficient 100 watt mobile can be heard! And mobile operations can be a LOT of fun. You could even run a coax to the car and talk on the radio that way!

If you are into bands above 40M, even ham sticks *can* work well at the higher frequencies. They stink at 40 and 75M! Lots of choices. My preference is the screwdriver because it gives one resonance and full output at the frequency of choice, its flexibility, and ability to correct for tuning anomalies instantly. Good luck with whatever you come up with.

NH7RO likes this.
  6. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Time to work on getting to know your neighbor better. Maybe some cookies, chocolates, a six pack or a bottle of nice wine would break the ice.

Sorry about the trees.

NH7RO likes this.
  7. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm back to my earlier suggestion of a "cobweb" antenna on a roof mount, perhaps a 4-sided shorty tower. Physically small enough to fit above a townhouse, covers 40m through 10m, not a huge wind load. Still thinking about one myself.

Great XYL, by the way! Mine would like nothing more than for me to give up ham radio and get rid of all of my gear and antennas!

NH7RO likes this.
  8. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Elegant, remotely tunable 10-80m solution on one feedline for any rooftop or stealthy home installation:

https://www.scorpionantennas.com/home-antenna_c_19.html

My own stealthier installation set up with five elevated radials dedicated for 40m here (which I am revising for 17, 20, 40 and 80m operation now) IMG_9311QRZcrop.jpg IMG_9312QRZ.jpg :

KX4O likes this.
  9. W1TRY

W1TRY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't do it. If ANYTHING happens to get caught in the leg over their property, whether intentional or not, any damages or injuries could affect 3 different properties and owners. Imagine the wire coming down and somebody gets wrapped up in it, trips on it or gets caught in a mower, car or truck.
    DO
    NOT
    DO
    IT

10. KA3CNC

KA3CNC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Trees were near the power lines and instead of cutting the limbs in the power lines they cut down all the trees