Advice for new DXers

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by WA6MHZ, Oct 28, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

plenty of us old timers have suggestions to add to the newcomers welcome to the Brutal World of DXing. It isn't a game for the very timid!
    I listen to new Hams call the DX, If on Phone, they will just casually mention their callsign in the pileup and wonder why they didn't get logged. It takes a VORACIOUS ATTITUDE to get thru, almost RABID!!!!!
    Each Phoentic of your call sign you have to THRUST THROUGH!!!! Timing is everything. Wait til the calling session dies down abit and then FORCE your call thru!!
    The DX station will likely hear a partial of your call and come back to you.
    There are all sorts of SLY Techniques CW OPS can get thru, from tracking the DX OP's operating habits (where he moves to get the next station to work), and again Timing!!

With FT8, it is Just CLICK The mouse button and hope for the best. Though I see success in locating a HOLE in the Waterfall!

Most of All,
    NEVER GIVE UP!!!!

MAKING THIS CONTACT is the most important thing in your life!!!! WORK can be missed, meals and sleep are not necessary if you are hunting a ATNO (ALL TIME NEW ONE).
    I just called for half of yesterday and half of today to finally get through to a DX! Some contacts may take, HOURS, DAYS and WEEKS, and even YEARS to nail down!! I am STILL STALKING Monk Apollo on Mt Athos after 38 years of INTENSIVE DXING!!!!. He is there, and active. Just need to find a FREAK Propagation where him and me can finally connect! I have heard him ONCE, on 10M SSB, but of course my squeaky little 100W hadn't a PRAYER!!! Now I have a KILLERWATT in my Arsenal!!!

That is another reccomendation. QRP is fine if you want to work Kansas, but going after the BIG GAME, you need a POWERHOUSE Station. IT can be done on QRP, but will result in countless hours of Frustration to the point of saying "FORGET THIS!!!!"
    A KILLERWATT really REALLY HELPS!!!! My productivity went from ZERO TO HERO when I got the KILLERWATT!!! If you can run a Microwave oven in your room, U can support a small Amp. I run both my DRAKE L7 and SB-226 (Modified HEATHKIT SB-220) off of 110V and don't blow the circuit breaker as long as I don't go crazy!

2. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

Another bit of advice is to put up as MUCH METAL as Possible. While U can get thru at times with funny wires and verticals, nothing beats a big Tribander as high as you dare. I have mine on a Roof tower above the 2nd story. So not too high, but it would work alot better at maybe 70ft! I even got a tower in my yard just for that purpose, but the logistics of putting in the base were Prohibitive! you can't just DIG an 8ft deep hole in Crest unless you plan of doing allotta BLASTING!!! I can't even get a Ground Rod in the dirt! So my measily roof tower will have to do.

You can often load up them on the WARC BANDS (17 and 12) with a good tuner. My MFJ does the job.
    In General, the more METAL the BETTER!!! IF it blows down, you just put it up again!

3. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

GREETINGS PATRICK,

CONGRATS ON YOUR OUTSTANDING
    QRZ PAGE. HATS OFF TO YOUR
    WORK WITH THE CREST MUSEUM.
    PLEASE HELP ME TO FIND
    A LINK TO THE CREST MUSEUM.
    Hats_off[1].gif

I WOULD LIKE TO SHARE THE
    CREST MUSEUM WITH OUR CLUB
    MEMBERS.

THREE CHEERS FOR THE KITTIES..
    cat in the hopper.jpg
    SMALL CFO 1008  SMILE 73 CANDID CAMERA HAVE A HAPPY DAY.jpg

WA6MHZ likes this.
  4. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

Pat, don't forget to explain how split works. Judging from what I hear, a significant number of oldsters could use some pointers as well. Otherwise, excellent topic.

WA7WJR likes this.
  5. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

From what I see/hear its always oldsters who don't get the plan. As an oldster myself I find that embarrassing. I never hear a 'KM4' blasting away out of order in a pile up like I do a 'I've been on the air for 60 years and have my original call, by gawd'.

N2EY and W4POT like this.
  6. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

Rule #1 for any aspiring DXr is learn how to LISTEN. Listening will give you important info. Is he working split? If so what is the frequency range of the split. Then listen to determine if the DX has a listening/response pattern. Most do. If you can pick up on that it can save a lot of wasted energy adding to the pileup on a frequency the DX is not listening to. Avoid non standard phonetics. Be careful with "tail ending"....some DX ops hate that and will put you on the do not call list if they hear you do it. Finally don't get frustrated. If you are trying to work the DX station and have had no luck for a prolonged period, take a break. Go get a cup of coffee or take a quick walk around the block and then come back to it. Sometimes even a break of a couple of minutes clears the frustration and frustration often leads to mistakes.

WA7PRC, W0WDF, N2EY and 2 others like this.
  7. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Most, if not all, of what you wrote is correct.

As for me, thank goodness I did not read something like this 40+ years ago when I got interested in hamradio. It would never have happened.

To the newcomers out there: keep things in perspective, it's only a hobby.

K1TGX likes this.
  8. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

best guidance.

9. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

After listening to the horrible pileup for the V 51 today (I didn't enter the fray since I have it confirmed on multiple bands) I have one more bit of advice to offer. Do NOT call the DX when he is still in QSO with another station and passing it back to that other station. IF the DX gets your call sign when he is trying to hear the station he is in QSO with he will probably make it a point NOT to work you since you QRMd his in progress QSO. Lots of people, including some "Extras", tried that with him and it did not work.

WA7PRC, K9ASE and KP4SX like this.
  10. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Transmit a little off frequency, like 50 or 100 hz. It makes you sound different, and that gets you noticed. Sometimes.

AD7DB likes this.