Actual Titanic Exchanged CW Messages.

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by G4ALA, Apr 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-innov
ad: L-rfparts
  1. G4ALA

G4ALA Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KI4NGN

KI4NGN Ham Member QRZ Page

In terms of Titanic, it was a negligent loss of life: nothing that brought about that tragedy was an accident, except perhaps for the iceberg being where it was. All other contributing factors existed because of negligence or greed.
  3. G4ALA

I apologize for picking a word from among the several available that was not to your liking.

4. KI4NGN

Excuse for me disagreeing with your choice of words and expressing that. Excuse me for not accepting you minimalizing that tragedy as an "accident" while you expound on deliberate deaths from war.

I guess yours was one of those posts where you did not want any discussion unless it agreed with you.
  5. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Ham Member QRZ Page

6. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Ham Member QRZ Page

There certainly was a race to make money but no one deliberately caused that accident, and that's what it was. There were some bad decisions made which usually contribute to tragic accidents but no one thought they were taking a life threatening risk. It was and still is common practise for ships to steam continuously twenty four hours a day. I just can't jump to your conclusions, I wasn't there.
  7. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

He may have been referring to the knowingly poor-quality rivets used in Titanic's hull construction as well as the metal plates, too, IIRC. (The plates were reportedly fired incorrectly, making them too brittle.)
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  8. KI4NGN

Not enough lifeboats? Too small of a rudder? Inferior iron in many rivets? Ignoring berg warnings to break the crossing record? Lookouts without binoculars? The list goes on.

Negligence and greed.
  9. NY3V

NY3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Capitalism at it's finest.
  10. G4ALA

Well said.

It the risk of falling foul of the Zed's somewhat arbitrary censorship, I wonder what the connection is between the enterprise culture (the Victorian model where people created products and services) and captialism (the twentieth centrury model where people, without substantive contriubution, cash in on other peoples'enterprise)? Perhaps a lot of people cannot see anything wrong with that.

At least the sharholder benefit of the White Star Line was maximized. I suppose the idea that the ship was somehow invincible made precautions seem unnecessary.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.