Active Scammer Alert

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Gear For Sale' started by AA7BQ, Oct 30, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like text was scammed from the same UK site.

2. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yup.

I got PM responses from the real Philip. He said he tried to contact QRZ admins but didn't know how (realistically, they can't do anything about what some would-be thief sends through gmail anyway) but he did post a thread that he had nothing for sale.

3. NK4K

NK4K Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, I noticed my callsign used "in vain" (hehe) in this forum. Apparently, a scammer lifted a photo from an ad I placed last year for an ICOM linear.
    I know all the rules and guidelines and suggestions about posting ad's, but if you have some new trick, e.g. imbedding a callsign into the photo -- WHICH I DARN WELL WILL BE DOING NEXT TIME -- I'd appreciate a jingle. Please use the E-mail from my NK4K page on here, because I seldom can find stuff otherwise.
    Thank you.
    Kris -- NK4K

4. KB9SDS

KB9SDS Ham Member QRZ Page

I've seen this happen on other forums that are non-Ham. I sell locally and in person that way the money goes into my hand and I can hand the radio to the person buying it.

5. N4DCD

N4DCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think this forum should delete the posting after the OP states its sold like they do on the QTH forum. Then stealing photo's is cut way down on this forum.

6. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

That sounds like a pretty good idea. Why leave the ads online after they've served their purpose?

7. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well I DO find old ones handy for researching past asking prices.

KS4W and AJ4GQ like this.
  8. KS4W

KS4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed 100%. Then there's the old question, "Who did I buy that power supply from last year?"

9. N4DCD

N4DCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Then you run the risk of someone stealing your pics.

10. W5ZYM

W5ZYM Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps there could be some type of program that could be triggered by a "sold" condition on the thread. This would then strip all photos away from the post. It would leave the text available for later reference.