Active Scammer Alert

Discussion in 'Ham to Ham References' started by AA7BQ, Oct 30, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. WB5THT

WB5THT Ham Member QRZ Page

You too? o_O

2. W6NIK

W6NIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

FYI, I am NOT trying to sell a 857D. I heard that someone is using my name and call sign to sell one.

3. KA9GDW

KA9GDW Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the heads up!

4. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I got an email from someone trying to sell me an AL-811HXCE whatever the "XCE" is, apparently because I asked a question in the for sale forum about an 811H for sale. The price is suspiciously low for an 811H, and the English is, while not incorrect, quite odd for a K5 call from Galveston TX, clearly being copied and pasted and referring to the 811s as "valves" rather than "tubes." The associated call on QRZ is a real member but it doesn't sound like something they would write, and their profile doesn't show an email address.

Before I add details I will PM the person here and ask if they actually sent the email.

5. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Unsolicited email is usually from a criminal scammer.

W6FYK likes this.
  6. WD4IGX

Indeed. "Just on the in case" as a friend used to say I PMed the real owner of that call here. Unless he replies saying that he DID send it, I'll post more info soon. Among the suspicious items was also the fact the photos showed an AL-811H on a table and in the background were shelves of other gear, multiple transceivers of overlapping capabilities, accessories etc. on shelving that looks like a store or wharehouse. Specifically, this photo, the file date of which also shows a date in 2015:

Attached Files:

7. WD4IGX

I looked up the HXCE - that's an export version with 12/10 meters already enabled and factory wired for 240v. Additional things to be suspicious of from someone in Galveston, Texas. :D

The scammers must think we are all dumber than brain damaged toy poodles.

8. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

9. WD4IGX

Yup. Thanks for the Google image search (probably, or however you found it.)

Here's the email. I wrote the real Phillip Gerding via PM. Beware this version.

Hi Roger,

I have my used AL-811HXCE Ameritron 800W HF Linear Amplifier for sale.
    The AL-811HXCE amplifier is an ideal linear to use. The AL-811HXCE delivers 800W PEP with 4 x 811A valves. The excellent cooling fan runs quietly but efficiently and enables you to work contests or rag-chew. It matches the modern solid state rig and offers up to 9dB of power gain, that’s nearly two S-points. In an instant you can switch it to standby when not needed and just as quickly switch it back into circuit. It has been my main amp for years, selling to raise tuition fee for my son. I'm offering it for sale @ $450 paypal including shipping should you be interested.

73, Philip Gerding kg5jpg​

10. WD4IGX

And now he wrote back with:

Hi Roger,

I think I sent you the wrong pictures. Those are pictures from a listing on a uk radio store.
    Still don't know how I mistakenly uploaded them to you.
    Please kindly ignore and disregard the whole mail as it was all errors. Thanks!!

Philip Gerding​

To which I replied:

Uh-huh. You saw the post on the active scammers thread. You're still not the real Philip Gerding - you've obviously been on the site, but haven't answered my PM, because you're not Philip and don't have access to his PMs.

B###er off you scamming a##h###.​

Only I didn't use pound signs.

N0TZU likes this.