Active Scammer Alert

Discussion in 'Ham to Ham References' started by AA7BQ, Oct 30, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

BTW,

I use spamcop.net when I get these third party emails. You should too!

2. KA2FIR

Ad for a FTM-8900R by N6CAL. No pictures, qrz profile has no email address. Requested several times for photos and email address. Says to reply on QRZ. Only one post of many back in 2012 has a photo but no callsign next to item. In those 2012 ads they gave an email address of myphoneline@gmail.com. There is no FTM-8900R model but there is the FT-8900R.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  3. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

The listing by KD2LMR has multiple indications that it is a scammer ad, but it could just be an arrogant and ignorant individual. KC9QQC's account does not appear to have been hacked and his public email is aford_man@yahoo.com. The offering email you received was probably from a scammer claiming to be KC9QQC in response to your post on KD2LMR's listing.

4. WB4OZM

WB4OZM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

BTW,, I too was looking for a Flex with a Maestro unit, but never advertised that I was looking for one. I was asking over the internet via email. Could this scammer have intercepted my email? Wow

5. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

No, he didn't intercept your email. You posted a response to N9NOS's ad saying you sent an email and expressing your interest in buying both. That's why the scammer targeted you.

KS4W likes this.
  6. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Staff Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Neither account has been compromised. A scammer is simply using an alternate e-mail for both accounts that have no ties to these accounts. Be more careful about who point fingers at.

7. W6PWM

W6PWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Just got contacted by Danny Ogles W4pig (or someone using his info) wanting to sell me a used FTM-400DR for only 320.00. But the address that was given was w4pig@yahoo.com. He also sent me picts that looked familiar to another radio that was sold months ago.

Danny's address is w4pig.aol.com. I also saw a post that his name and info is currently being used to have people send money.

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/alinco-dj-g29t-222-902mhz-handheld.574996/#post-4334465

So Be Careful out there folks.

Mike

8. W6FYK

W6FYK Ham Member QRZ Page

QST

They look at what you (we) have been looking at here on QRZ ,i.e.,w6fyk is now looking at an FT-857D.

Then I get an offer to buy (DUH) an FT-857D 3 days later.

Well it starts with, " for your consideration, will deal on price" etc.

IGGY

9. WX7P

WX7P Ham Member QRZ Page

Who's trying to sell you the radio?

Rod Serling?

10. KA2FIR

Lorne Greene.