ad: M2Ant-1

Active Scammer Alert

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Gear For Sale' started by AA7BQ, Oct 30, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. AF5WN

AF5WN Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a WTB ad for an Alinco DJ-G29T
    This guy is pretty good, he produces pics and responds to emails that doesn't raise any flags right off the bat.

2. W4BBT

W4BBT Ham Member QRZ Page

These scammers are also targeting folks that are posting WANTED items. They send you and email claiming to have the item you want. They will send you a picture of the item you are looking for if you request it. They never use a call sign in their email but will always use 73. They will request payment through PayPal and ask payment through family and friends (DO NOT DO THIS). PayPal can not refund your payment if you use this option but will request you report it to your bank as a fraud transaction. I got took but hope you don't.

OH2FFY likes this.
  3. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

It is really not that hard to see the read flags in these types of emails. There is so much to look for when working with one of these people. Just the spelling and grammar is always off a little. And anyone that gets asked to use "friends and family" for payment I don't feel a bit sorry for them getting taken. After all by paying with F&F and they are in no way a real friend or someone in their family they are cheating Paypal themselves and deserve to get taken.
    Or if they won't send a picture or send one without their call that has not been Photo shopped into the picture that is a big red flag. (Although some are really getting good with photo shop)
    Or I am in the hospital so send the payment to my sister in a whole different state don't send money.
    But 2 of the biggest flags that tell you to run from the deal is "friends and family" and send the money Western Union. Also if you try to check them out and they get mad at you for not trusting them even if they are legit and ask them to do a couple things for you to make you feel good about the deal just move on. I had one of those and I think he was legit but he would not send and email from his QRZ email and only some other email so he got mad at me. Well if someone wants to sell me something and will not do a couple simple things to prove who he is then I have no problem moving onto another seller. I would rather miss a buy then get screwed. I am not into giving money away to a crook.
    But I shed no tears when someone says they used "friends & family" to screw Paypal out of their commission and then lost their money. They are no worse then the crook they are dealing with. If they do that they should immediately loose their account with Paypal and be dealt with as a crook.

These are my opinions on the subject.

John, WB0MPB

WB5THT and AJ4GQ like this.
  4. K9EI

K9EI Ham Member QRZ Page

I got an email from him also: ka8tbw55@gmail.com. It almost matches the "REAL" email address, so that means whomever he is, he probably has a login here on QRZ.

K8AI likes this.
  5. W9SL

W9SL Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish I had read this before I sent this person money via PayPal on June 5th.... the QRZ email address for ka8tbw is/was ka8tbw55@yahoo.com not at gmail.com which the scammer is using. I saw that the money I sent was paid to another email account so I called Paypal and they said the other account is a good Paypal customer and they will check with them. If my money is in a legitimate Paypal account I might get it back,.... maybe, Paypal said they will call the account holder who probably isn't even aware of it and is somehow being scammed themselves... we'll see :mad: .
    Don, W9SL

6. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Database Subscriber QRZ Page

Got one from him the other day when I was responding to a forsale item here, Said he had one for $50 cheaper. Ha ha ..

Wrote back saying he is a known scammer, get lost.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

K9EI likes this.
  7. KM4GIY

KM4GIY Ham Member QRZ Page

ka8tbw55@gmail.com is at it again. I put a wanted add up for a Yaesu ft2dr. He replied via email saying he would sell me one for $185! The ridiculously low price was a dead give away. Beware of this loser, he is still trying!

8. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

I wrote to ka8tbw55@gmail.com to have some fun with him. I don't know how long he will play though. I said "Hi, I just heard you have been selling some good used ham gear. Do you have any good HF radios at this time?"

He wrote back and said "
    Yes John,

I have a Flex radio 6300 , Icom IC 7300 and Yaesu ft 857D for sale . Let me know the one you want .

Thanks, 73

I wrote back and said, "The Icom IC 7300. Where is it at right now and can you send me some pictures of it with your call in the picture and how much do you want for it?

That was today so I have not heard from him and may not hear from him anymore.

John

K9EI likes this.
  9. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Database Subscriber QRZ Page

One of the flags use to be payment by Western Union... but the PayPal F&F seems to be their latest gig...

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

10. KB2MXV

KB2MXV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Had a scam e-mails yesterday from an add I posted here

DAVID A DAVIDSON <ka8tbw55@gmail.com>
    Hi Frank,
    Proceed payment to my paypal address below
    davidson.ham311@outlook.com

K9EI likes this.