Active Scammer Alert

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Gear For Sale' started by AA7BQ, Oct 30, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: K3QNTad-1
  1. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

The scams are not so simple at the other end.

The person trying to scam you is likely being scammed him self. I had a client who fully believes he has earned a huge amount of money by receiving payments on behalf of a 'business' he works for. He deposits these payments into a UBA* debit card account. The 'business' provided him with the card and has access to the account. Here is the sad part. This guy is on SSI disability and he pays for the privilege of working for this 'business'. He pays for "leads" amd "mailing lists". He even pays for the privilege of priority in receiving "leads". Every time he tries to withdraw money from 'his' account, he is told he is behind on his account management fee. Somehow he can never quite catch up. It's impossible to investigate because the scammers have him convinced that anyone wanting to know about his job is either competition or someone trying to scam him. I would not be surprised if there are not thousands just like him.

The easiest way to protect yourself is to verify the sellers address in the FCC database and only send money to that address. If he says he has moved...wait for him to change his FCC address. Otherwise, apply the usual discretion. Ham radio is not without it's share of flakes.

73, -Bob ah7i/w4

*UBA card. Image is a random google find. Other than name, number, and date it's the same card my client has.
    [​IMG]

2. N0TZU

N0TZU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you. I hadn't considered that the "relative", who is often the designated money-man of scams, might be an innocent conduit and a victim as well.

It's the most vulnerable who are especially targeted by the scammer scumbags, due to their desperation or their limited abilities.

3. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Scammer using callsign KA8TBW contacted me after I made a comment on a Caution forsale. They offered the same radio, FT-2000D for $200 less than the forsale ad. Email address used is ka8tbw55@gmail.com. I got in contact with the real KA8TBW and told him what's going on and suggested he change his email address password since the well known provider had I think over a billion accounts hacked. Got these unsolicited emails before so it's typical of scammers.

PA1PCF likes this.
  4. W3DIY

W3DIY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Today I responded to listing for a THP 2.5 amp and 1.5 AT from MELODY D KARGOE, KB2SBE. This call has expired and there is no e mail attached to the QRZ.com info.

Since the QTH is nearby Richmond VA I asked if I could see it operate and purchase if all was OK.

The scammer replied that she moved, is in the process of renewing her license, price includes shipping, payment by wire transfer.

The IP address was listed as shared access, location Manassas VA. Closer to my QTH than KB2SBE.

End of story.

5. W2PH

W2PH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I too was just contacted by a fraudulent KA8TBW looking to sell me a 2 element steppIR yagi for $1000. He could not answer the technical question I replied with and now I see he has hijacked the call and is trying to continue to scam others.

6. NK6R

NK6R Ham Member QRZ Page

I had an ad here wanting an IC-2KL parts unit. I was contacted by David A Davidson, KA8TBW (KA8TBW55@GMAIL.COM)
    First red flag was his contact method about the ad I had on QTH was not through QTH, but direct to my email from QRZ. Second red flag was the price was a great deal, and he stated a "display problem". Then he mentioned a few emails later that the amp worked perfectly. I offered to pay shipping and he accepted a $400 for the amp. I asked for a photo and the one he sent turned out to be from an ad places by NK4K back in Aug-2016 that i found here on QRZ. I then asked him to call me so I could discuss the "display" problem, (these amps don't have a display, just a lighted meter and LEDs), I got no reply. I reached out the next day about needing the box size, weight and his address to process a fedex shipping label from my account and he replied he would just pay shipping?!?!?!?! That's around $100!!
    Still nothing so I did some digging. By all accounts this guy appears to be genuine; has a high count QRZ page, a google search on KA8TBW contact pulled up KA8TBW55@gmail.com which he responded, but he was also communicating with me on Radio4David360@outlook.com, which he said was his PayPal email.

By a first and second look, he appeared to be legit, until the mysterious silence when I asked for a phone number/call. Also his grammar seemed "accented", for example; I asked for functional condition and he replied "It function perfectly ." (and he puts a space between words and all punctuation marks). I mention this incase anyone else runs across this guy. This is about my fifth run in from a scammer, but the best red-flag is the response/reply method - if it's not through the web-site where the ad is placed, get a phone number and ask specifics.

7. WJ4VA

WJ4VA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just got offered a Yaesu DMU-2000 from ka8tbw55@gmail.com after I had replied to an add asking if one listed with a radio would be sold separately. Thought it was fishy that the email didn't match the one listed here on QRZ for ka8tbw and that the pic here on QRZ didn't appear to have a single Yaesu Radio in it so I emailed him and it is in fact bogus as the real ka8btw isn't selling anything...

KE9EX likes this.
  8. AE9AM

AE9AM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I always wonder how often a scam buyer ends up trying to scam a scam seller and how that works out for them.

9. AF5WN

AF5WN Ham Member QRZ Page

I had the bogus KA8TBW send me an email about wanting to sell me an Alinco DJ-G29T. After getting a pics and some exchanges on the info I felt comfortable to send him paypal for it. After I sent the money for goods and services (the only way to go since it's protected) I got a refund and was asked to send it again to a different email address. That's when the red flags raised so I asked for him to send me an invoice and I got another reply saying to send it to a different email address. I checked on here and saw his name pop up. I'll be reporting this guy to paypal and ensure that I don't get scammed.

10. AI4FU

AI4FU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So, if I'm understanding everything I'm reading, it boils down to these things:

If someone contacts you via email, unsolicited, after you comment on an item, there is an extremely high likelihood of it being a scam. I mean, why wouldn't the person just make their own post to sell what they had? So, unsolicited email, no phone contact, poor grammar, sob story, refusal(and excuses made) to take a current and not photoshopped picture; these are all big red flags.

How'd I do? Do I pass?

KC3APU, W0AMT and N0TZU like this.