Active Scammer Alert

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Gear For Sale' started by AA7BQ, Oct 30, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ Administrator Staff Member Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Folks,
    There is an active scammer who is targeting SELLERS in this forum. The scam begins when the potential buyer sends an email asking you to click on a link in the email. The link has been disguised to look like a legitimate QRZ link but when clicked it brings up a counterfeit QRZ Login page. The page looks just like our Login page however the web page address (visible at the top) is clearly not QRZ. The danger posed by this scam is that by attempting a login on the counterfeit page, you disclose your login details and password to the scammer. What happens next is anybody's guess and is especially bad if you use the same password for other websites. Note that the scammer is not interested in what you are selling and his only goal is to steal your password.

Here is an example of an actual scammer's email which was a response to an ad posted here on QRZ:

Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 16:33:46 +0000
    To: <redacted>@msn.com
    Subject: Re: Kenwood TS-440AT

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

I sent out 5 inquiries.

Pls click on the link below to check if that is your advent on QRZ swapmeet.

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?forums/ham-radio-gear-for-sale.7/

So we can proceed with shipping and payment.

Thanks

Be extremely careful when clicking on links in email from unknown senders. In most cases your email program will show you the actual destination that a link goes to if you hover the mouse over it. When in doubt, copy and paste the link into a text editor to have a close look at its contents. If it looks good, you can paste that into a browser. Do not click directly on the link in your email program.

Above all, be very suspicious of any page originating from email that brings up a login screen. Don't type in your password and don't proceed. Close your browser and reboot your computer to be safe.

It is okay to forward any such email to support@qrz.com. We will quarantine and keep these on file for law enforcement.

KG5PJG, KA8ZYZ, NC8V and 33 others like this.
  2. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for looking out for us!

9Z4Y, MM6DUV, NC0M and 7 others like this.
  3. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Thanks for the reminder that we all have to be extra careful.

KC1ESB likes this.
  4. W7ALR

W7ALR Ham Member QRZ Page

I got an email on my yaesu ft 102 from a guy claiming to be Randall Melton Ka4aqm..... I dont think it was Randy....not answering..

5. AE7XG

AE7XG Ham Member QRZ Page

That's what I like about the Amateur community, you have our backs.
    thanks.

W1ES, MM6DUV, NC0M and 1 other person like this.
  6. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks!!

7. K3DC

K3DC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This is what I've been saying in the Internet Security classes I've taught for a local Senior Citizen group for years- NEVER click on an email link without checking it first. Also, notice the bad choice of words- this guy is NOT a native English speaker. There are several red flags here.

Thanks for your posting this information. Too many people say, "well, it's from xxx so it's safe." all too often that ain't the case at all.

73, Bill

8. N9ZDZ

N9ZDZ Ham Member QRZ Page

yea I posted about this email before please be carefull

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I stay away from those. :eek:

It is a old trick, coming around again.

I think they like the Banks better.

I do save the ones I get just for grins. :D

10. N0AKF

N0AKF XML Subscriber QRZ Page