Acom or Ameritron...??

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by W3AMM, Jan 3, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N7LRG

N7LRG Ham Member QRZ Page

2. N7LRG

N7LRG Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the ACOM 1000 and love it. It had a problem at first and I got sent a new one. Excellent customer service. No complaints here. Good luck.

3. KA3CNC

KA3CNC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

But how much more signal strength (S units) will the extra 5db provide on the receive end of the station you are trying to work?

4. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Almost 1. In marginal conditions between two stations, that's a huge improvement. When you're booming in, that makes no real difference.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  5. K0OKS

K0OKS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Less than 1 S unit, assuming the normal 6dB per unit. Of course S meters are particularly accurate, and cannot be accurately compared between radios, even by the same manufacturer...

Whereas the initial 7dB to get form 100W to 500W will be over 1 S unit.

No doubt more power is always merrier, assuming that you practice the legal requirement of using only the required amount of power to complete the communication at hand. In my limited time as an operator I have found that the power is often needed on the lower bands with these current conditions.

6. KA3CNC

KA3CNC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with the current hf conditions that the power is needed but I have also experienced that since I got back into the hobby after being qrt for about 10 years that it doesn't matter if the station is 2000 miles away or 2 miles away guys crank up the power even if its not needed to make the contact

KD2ACO likes this.
  7. KD2ACO

Well, in a group I like to run power so everyone can hear the proceedings. One on one, if someone says I'm booming in, the amp goes down to a couple hundred watts or in standby, no problem. I friend in the 'hood here returned my call the other day and I flipped the switch to the dummy load and we continued to chat! :p

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  8. K0OKS

Yeah, this is how the operators I have come to respect use their amps on 80m. I just want to be a good citizen.

Could you really chat through the dummy load? Or is that hyperbole? I measure no RF with an old Micronta field strength meter when I am running 1000W in my dummy load.

9. KD2ACO

I was just working on my amp with a Cantenna one day a few years back and that same neighbor returned my call! That's how I found out that enough juice gets out through the dummy.:p
    He's about 5 blocks away... not a half mile, so even silly-watts is enough I guess!I'm on 7.251 right now with an antenna... you around?

10. K0OKS

Haha. Oh, you truly mean neighbor...