Acom or Ameritron...??

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by W3AMM, Jan 3, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KA3CNC

KA3CNC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

everyone bashes the al 811h---I own one and never had any problems with it--doesn't cost an arm and a leg to replace the tubes either (which I haven't done yet) I would rather spend money on a better antenna system and you will do better than any amp you can buy. Oh how I wish I had a tower and a beam!

N6RGR likes this.
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A tower/beam installation costs a lot more than an amplifier, but is worth it if you plan to stay in one place for longer than a year or two.

The 811H bashing is mostly because the tubes are of variable and have been of very questionable quality. The 811A is a 80 year-old design and hasn't been American made in decades. Back when RCA made them, they were excellent tubes but that was a long time ago.

If you have four good ones now, take care of them!

K8PG and AF6LJ like this.
  3. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course, I remember. I didn't make the connection. I was wondering what ever became of your problem. I was kinda left hanging. Maybe my fault. I must have asked you to remove the tube and test for the voltage but I don't remember. Admittedly I have seen many problems with those amps, but not like yours. I think I covered as many things as I could think of. I'd still be interested in what the outcome will be. Did you bring the problem to the Ameritron user group? Tom JI hangs out there and he might be aware of this rare occurrence.

4. K2XT

K2XT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That is one of the great falacies of ham radio.
    I suppose if you operate 75 meters with locals where signals are 40 over 9 you'd be right.
    But, 500 to 1500 watts is FIVE DB ! Five db is the difference between a dipole and a 2-3 element beam.
    Five db is the difference between having your tribander sitting on your chimney or 120 feet up in the clear.
    Five db can be the difference between having a signal down in the din of the pileup (with the bumblebees) or blasting through on top.
    Five db (I could go on all day) is replacing a 500 foot run of RG58 with hardline, on some band, which I'm too lazy to look up right now, an exercise that is left to the reader....

N5WVR and AD0AC like this.
  5. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Amen brother.

K8PG likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, it's really 4.77 dB.:)

But 3 dB of that can be achieved by just going to 1 kW output, so that is "most" of the gain.

N5WVR likes this.
  7. AC8AC

AC8AC Ham Member QRZ Page

another vote for the al80b . performance on 10 ? do the mod may have to touch up input but I doubt it ive never seen a real issue . couldent give me an 811h or any other amplifier with over a 2 tube count . even 2 is an issue if its a tube other than a 3-500z

8. K0OKS

K0OKS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess I should have phrased that differently... my point (in using the word "more") was that from 100W to 500W is a significantly bigger jump than from 500w to 1500W. 7dB for the first jump vs. 5dB for the next 1000W, for all of the reasons you give above, and then some.

N5WVR and K2XT like this.
  9. K2XT

K2XT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have no idea what the point of your post is, Steve.

10. KF7TLL

KF7TLL Ham Member QRZ Page

I vote on the AL80B best BANG for your buck,

very forgiving amp for the "NEW" amp operator. I bought mine USED 3 years ago from a SK sale. It gets used daily for SSB nets and AM use and still ticking with NO repairs done.

DO NOT go by what Ameritron sez about being a KW amp unless you want to replace many tubes.

Also do stay away from a 811/811H not so forgiving as the AL80B. There are 10 811's for sale to one AL80 for a reason.....

My 2.5 cents worth Good Luck

73's Bruce KF7TLL