Acom A1200S

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by VE6CPU, Apr 24, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. VE6CPU

VE6CPU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello everyone. I just purchased a new Acom A1200S and just had a question about powering it. The plug at the back look like it only has three prongs like a desktop computer plug. To get the full 1000W out of it it needs 220 volts. So it looks like in North America it will only get 110v (about 17 amps) which is fine but it will only output about 500 to 600 watts because of this.

Just wondering if anyone else here has this amplifier and if you do how do you supply it with 220v in NA.

Thanks
    Stephen
    VE6CPU

2. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't have one but.....the B&W PT2500 has the same type of plug, three prong just like you said. But the amps are wired for 240 volts using the same power cable with the exception of the plug on the end. They use a standard 240 volt plug. The same is done on my Elecraft KPA500. The plug on the end is changed but the amp end of the power cable remains the three prong.
    Not having an Acom amp I would have to assume they are doing the same.
    Barry

3. VE6CPU

I downloaded the manual for the Acom but it only says to talk to the distributor about wiring it. Since I don't know if they send both the 120 and 220 cable, would you be able to post a picture of the ones you have? Not sure if you can take a picture of the insides of the plug but if you could that would really help.

Thanks.

4. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Call DX Engineering. They will know for sure.
    Barry

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The mains power is rated 93 ~ 265Vrms, so that's called "universal input" as found on many switchmode power supplies for the past several years.

It comes without a mains plug installed -- it's up to you to install the correct one for either 120V or 240V, and use the correct fuses for the line voltage you're using. Almost every "desktop" personal computer in the world is the same way. (The local distribution center "localizes" the machine by adding the correct power cord with the correct plug on the end for use wherever they are.)

6. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

NEMA Receptacles and NEMA 6-15 (240 VAC)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  7. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

REAR PHOTO of Acom 1200S
    7EDA959F-CE14-490F-A049-5F9769BF0EC5.jpeg
    You should have ORDERED the PROPER Cord Set for Your Country.
    DX Engineering sells the 120 VAC (5-15P) and 240 VAC (6-15P) cord sets for North American users.
    IF you purchased without cord set (Export market),
    CONTACT DX Engineering to Obtain proper cord set.
    https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/aom-1200s/overview/

DX Engineering Note:
    To install your own power plug, order AOM-1200S (no plug included)
    For a 120 Volt plug, order AOM-1200S-120 (500 watts)
    For a 240 Volt plug, order AOM-1200S-240 (1,000 watts)
    All part numbers include a power cable.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  8. VE6CPU

Thanks everyone for the info. I ordered from a Canadian supplier and there was no mention of which plug was included (or both, or neither). It's on the truck for delivery today so I guess I'll find out at noon. Then it's just a matter of getting some power run to that room for just the amp.

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats on that, and use it in good health.

I've never used one, but it looks like a very nice piece of gear.

10. VE6CPU

So got the amp this morning and opened it up at lunch. Turns out it comes with what looks like the European power plug. Not sure why it would when both me and the supplier are in Canada. Either way I can at least use a heavy computer power cable and use it on 120v until I get my 240v installed.