A5A BHUTAN DXPEDITION: Need Your Input!

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by KL2A, May 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Snagged them on 15 Friday night, but wasn't sure about it until they uploaded the logs the next day. First time I ever heard them well enough to try to call. And it was about a 1/2 hour window, so glad I was home. Had ALMOST given up. Could only hear them on the 160 sloper. And could only transmit on the 40 vertical so was flipping the mic switch with my left hand and the antenna switch with the right. Got almost all the new parts for my beam so that should be in the air this summer yet.

2. W7ARX

W7ARX Guest

Sometimes the dice roll your favor Bob...great to hear that under such adverse conditions and sparse operating NA...GL on the antenna project...you will NOTICE a big difference!!

3. W7ARX

W7ARX Guest

A lot furhter north that us folks down here...big, big difference...we had about 30 minute window...few if any go thru here...between the lids, the cluster cops and the sparse operating/conditions...go figure any Q's....

4. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Been without the beam for about a year due to a move. It was up in the air at the old place about 20 years..it's getting new hardware, complete disassembly and cleaning, etc. so it will be nice to have it back.

5. KC7YRA

KC7YRA Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Whole world seems to be working them on 17 CW right now. Of course, I can't hear them. I don't have a very good antenna on 17 so have not had much luck in even hearing them. I would have liked to see a little more emphasis on 15 or 20 but those are the breaks I guess.

Next time.

Brad

6. KR2D

KR2D Ham Member QRZ Page

I could barely hear them on 17 CW for a while. I only have vertical antennas, they were way down in the noise. I tried for a QSO, but no luck.

Otherwise, I have not heard them at all. Others in my area have worked them, but they have much better antennas than I do.

7. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

The one thing I know is a KIO hexbeam will not make the grade in my location.

fp

8. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have yet to hear them, but hope to work them yet.

9. W7ARX

W7ARX Guest

No Joy

I pretty much have given up getting some much needed band/mode contacts, as they come on too late for any reasonable prop in our region, don't seem to hang there long, when on, and only seem to work one band if it is on. So, I gave up spending hours trying to get a QSO on bands I need.
    Just not worth it.
    At 0200 on 12 meters is ludicrous for here, 15 meters maybe, but not for long at that time of day.
    I needed 12 and 40 and a 17 meter SSB, but never even hear any locals mentioning it, let along 30 meters. Pretty much, if I get to work them, when the prop is appropriate, it may be 21 or 18 mhz, but they usually are on EU, EU, EU, EU, etc. You get the picture.
    I didn't really think it would happen on 40-80-160, but certainly, for higher bands. Just the timing was way off per the grey line.

10. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

Atleast it seems accessible. That is the 2nd DXpedition this year (last in Nov), so folks are going there. Can't say the same thing about Yemen. Not likely anyone will go there again anytime soon.
    We just need good sunspots. THEN, bring on the DXpeditions!!! DXpeditions in Sunspot NULLs are just an exercise in FRUSTRATION and Knashing of teeth!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.