ad: KF7PMW-1

A XLR question

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by WV8RKO, Oct 6, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. K4EM

K4EM Ham Member QRZ Page

2. K4EM

K4EM Ham Member QRZ Page

3. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Pendant Switches are common (Patient Bed Call Systems, Medical Equipment, etc.).

Switchcraft has several pendant / Nurse Call models (921X, ED903), for less than $20 USD.
    http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...=sGAEpiMZZMvxtGF7dlGNpgnCP6XQrpVnnxAbhpbqZ7o=
    One model is a Switchcraft Push Button screwed into the Shell of a Switchcraft XLR/TRS.
    I have found these FREE at many surplus sales, and for a couple $ at Goodwill, hamfests.
    http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Switchcraft/ED903/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvxtGF7dlGNpjA1pqrXUi%2b41hdYmRH3ItQ=

FC64EC07-71DB-4E21-95ED-65A47B63E73B.jpeg
    Switchcraft, Model 921KX (with cord & tinned leads): $18.31 from Allied Electronics.
    https://www.alliedelec.com/switchcr...MI7oXwxJ3u1gIVwwJpCh1mNgdJEAQYBCABEgJvj_D_BwE
    4324C9B6-644F-44CF-93D0-8AF30D88129B.jpeg
    Switchcraft, model ED903 (red button) : $12.28 from Mouser.
    Black button is model ED913.
    http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Switchcraft/ED903/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvxtGF7dlGNpjA1pqrXUi%2b41hdYmRH3ItQ=
    ====
    FOOT Switches are the other option, used within many Industrial Production environments.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  4. W2WDX

W2WDX Ham Member QRZ Page

OK ... I'm just amazed here. Seriously.

First, look at the manual and see what pins on your radio do what for your mic input. Then understand the balanced microphone you have is pin 2 hot, pin 1 ground (as are all studio/stage microphones since they are AES standardized). Also do not forget about impedance matching. This is pretty basic stuff, more basic than what was on the VE tests. Does this really need to be explained?

When did Amateur Radio start demanding plug & play solutions? Are we now just common consumers?

5. WV8RKO

WV8RKO Ham Member QRZ Page

1. I don't have the tools or meter to check the pins, plus I don't want to butcher up a $40.00 cable. 2. My eyesight is not what it used to be. 3. I get frustrated somewhat easily because of all of the above. So yes I will take the easy way out on a lot of things. So until you walk in my shoes, don't judge.

6. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes. Everyone is a beginner sometime. I've had to talk degreed Engineers through this same subject.

7. 2E0TZX

2E0TZX Ham Member QRZ Page

Found this in the Heil website about the HM-12:
    "The ‘soft touch’ PTT switch is wired to pins 3 and 4 for transmitter control with the microphone signal fed to pins 1 and 2 of the four-pin XLR"

KA9JLM likes this.
  8. W2WDX

W2WDX Ham Member QRZ Page

I apologize. That was a bit harsh. However, to assume that the wiring would be similar was at best, risky. Now if it was all Heil products that assumption would be understandable. I am sure you understand that common sense can overcome poor eyesight (which I also have) and tools and meters are not required to read manuals or search the web a little. However, plugging things in BEFORE doing any of that is risky for the gear. You potentially could have ruined either the mic or the radios input going in their uninformed.

I do apologize for the condescending attitude on my part on my first reply, that was uncalled for and unfair.

You should have stopped at "... beginner sometimes". That's certainly true. That's why Elmers are tradition in Ham Radio. But ... I find it difficult to believe any engineer would have to be "talked through this", being one myself.

K4EM was spot on for a solution.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 10:41 PM
  9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

You should get one of those free ones at Harbor Fright.

Have Fun.

10. K4RKY

K4RKY Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe I overlooked it but I saw no mention of phantom power. Not sure on the 440 but on my 590s I have to use phantom power with the XM8500 (an excellent mic BTW). As far as PTT several have mentioned a hand PTT is extremely easy to build. Also on the 590 I had to use a stereo to mono adapter on the mic cable. GL