ad: elecraft

A Video for Prospective New Hams

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by NW7US, Jul 13, 2017.

?

Keep or ditch the ride-along format?

1. Keep the format, but reduce road noise even more.

2. Keep the format, and don't worry about the road noise (it isn't too bad)

3. Ditch the ride-along format (too distracting, too noisy, etc.)

Results are only viewable after voting.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NW7US

NW7US Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I call this a "ride-along video." This is the first in a series that I am working on, for new, prospective amateur radio operators (people that we hope will join our ranks): "So, you want to get into the ham radio hobby." This is a video that can be shared with non-amateur-radio folks who are interested in this radio hobby that we all love and pursue.

I have tried to edit the sound to reduce the road noise. Please comment on the noise level, and how well you can hear me talking about the topic.

Should I ditch the ride-along format?

73 de NW7US

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

If it is distracted driving Yes.

3. NW7US

NW7US Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Since the phone that has the built-in camera is mounted in a secure holder, and since the phone is voice activated, I use no hands to interface with the phone with which I am recording the video. Since no one else is in the vehicle, I don't have to turn my head when speaking. Since the only thing I am doing is talking, I am no more distracted than any typical non-distracted driver. I'm less distracted than if I were holding a ham-radio device while driving. I'm less distracted than the driver who just stopped at the popular food joint and got a burger by way of the drive-through. I'm less distracted than someone who has worked a full day with a tyrant for a boss and is driving home to the spouse and kids, having road rage due to the high blood pressure from the burger and obligatory sugar-loaded soda. I'm less distracted than the driver who is juggling that soda, and burger, while holding a conversation with the dog in the back seat, driving home to that spouse and kids. I'm less distracted than the teenager driving by the hot body that turns all the heads. I'm less distracted than most of those who cry, sing, yell, or just daydream.

In the nearly 40 years of driving, I've not had an accident by my own fault. I've not caused anyone else to have an accident, either.

So, if the issue is one of concern for safety due to being distracted, I am of the opinion that I am fine.

What I was wondering is how the message of the video is affected by the viewer, given that the message is delivered in the context of mobility. Obviously, you were distracted by my being in motion, at the controls of the vehicle. Perhaps you missed the message.

4. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Everyone is distracted driving, nothing new, so why the nit-picking??
    OK on the video.
    There's a Youtube for anything and everything so add yours to the pile, or file, hi.

5. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not bad, Tomas. I think it might have been better if you had got on the WINSystem repeater there, and asked for a demonstration - that usually yields people from all over the place, and might be a good 'grabber' to get people's attention. Otherwise, I think a scripted video would be better. Maybe pull off the road to do most of the recording and demo the radios.