A remote Power Supply for the SB-220

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by WA6MHZ, Apr 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Well, I don't have any that doesn't have copper pads or buss traces on it, so I'm sure it would not be safe for this app... sorry! P1000611.JPG

2. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

We need to get that Contactor over at Murphys on the way home from TRW. Hope we can find some more parts there. Im going to be combing boxes of junk there for anything that might be needed. It is ENTHUSIASM that drives me at Swapmeets. I am still worried I won't have a place to sit down for a few minutes rest. 2 hours of non stop walking and standing will take its toll on me. But NOW I am on a Treasure hunt. Wish I could go to Dayton!!! I am sure there will be LOTS I need there. Now I don't need that Jennings RJ1 relay, I oughta sell it. I wanted the 2 HC-3s because they are easier mounting and match.
    The box I put them in will have 4 SO-239s on it. 2 IN and 2 OUT. Inside the 2 relays will be jumpered for RX. I will put some copper shielding inside to isolate the IN and out. I need to make this VHF acceptable. I forget where the SWR Bridge is in the SB-221. I will be looking for another HM-102 to rob the RF section out of and adapt that to the SWR section of the SB-221

AF6LJ likes this.
  3. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

4. WA6MHZ

Thanks, Chris, those still might work if I tore off the copper tracing in areas of interest, but I will think about what to do . Thanks again, Chris!

AF6LJ likes this.
  5. AF6LJ

Put the relays in the amplifier it will save you some time and trouble.

6. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Sure! It's in the mail...

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    AF6LJ likes this.
  7. WA6MHZ

That might work, but it eats up alotta real estate. Almost 6 inches by 4 inches. good for 6.5A I was thinking of a much smaller transformer, as the only load will be the 2 relays at 335 ohms each. thats 160 ma total. Add maybe an LED on the remote control and whatever the remote relay to drive the contactor draws and U are still under 1/2 amp. SO 6.5A is a way overkill.

8. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Pat, I got a half serious question for you..
    With your experience, WHY are you playing around with modifying somebody elses 30+
    year old design?

I remember reading somewhere that if you needed more power than a single tube would
    provide, The answer was not to use more tubes,But to use a bigger tube.

Why not design and build YOUR OWN amplifier, and publish the progress on here?
    That would be a lot more impressive than playing around with a SB-220/221 like so many others have before you..

9. AF6LJ

Look at the datasheet
    I think they have lower current supplies listed.

10. AF6LJ