A question for OTs re Gus, W4BPD

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by NM7G, Aug 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

The dx bug bit me hard when Gus made his fourth expedition. I had erected a 20-15-10 tribander in 1970, just before he was active from Blenheim Reef, Geyser Reef, and Aldabra (all later deleted DXCC entities). Of course he operated from a great many other locations. How did Gus travel throughout the Indian Ocean. Did he own a boat, or did he hire or buy passage? If there's anything to read of Gus's adventures beyond what Hugh Cassidy wrote in the WCDXB, please advise.

2. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

According to a post of K2CD at geocities.ws/k2cddx/gus1.html, Gus bummed rides almost everywhere. I liked his philosophy of using a vertical to give everyone an equal chance of a contact.

K5RT likes this.
  3. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

4. VK3KTT

VK3KTT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

wow those links were great stepping back in time dx was tough then
    thanks

5. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In QST for January, 1947, page 44, there is a picture of the station(s) of Gus Browning, W4BPD (sk).

The picture can be seen here:

http://dokufunk.org/amateur_radio/pe...09&ID=572#A572

http://dokufunk.org/jpeto_cache/shack.jpg

"This photograph will give you a rough idea of the stations at W4BPD. Yes, Gus Browning, down in Orangeburg, S.C., has practically a complete station for each and every band.

He has separate final amplifiers for 80, 40, 20, 11 and 10, each consisting of a pair of 813s driving a pair of 304TLs. Any one of these is driven by a VFO exciter using a string of 807s. The modulator ends up with a pair of 250THs, with negative-peak clipper and splatter choke, and the audio driver unit unit includes a 'clipter' circuit.

The receiver system uses a common i.f. amplifier which includes a Lamb noise silencer, crystal filter, amplified a.v.c., heterotone, three kinds of detection, series noise limiter, peaked audio, heterofil, 1N34 noise limiter, and a built-in monitor. Separate miniature-tube converters for each band can be switched into the i.f. system.

Antennas include a N-S rhombic, an E-W rhombic, a terminated rhombic on AC4YN, a 14-Mc. Sterba for Europe and New Zealand, another 14-Mc. Sterba for South Africa and Western Australia, a rotatable 28-Mc. 4-element beam, and a 14-Mc vertical extended Zepp.

Other gear around the shack includes 50- and 144-Mc. transmitters ending up with p.p. VT127As, a 5-inch scope for modulation checking, antenna tuners for the receivers, frequency standards, a globe with S.C. as the axis and the beam patterns drawn in, and a log with something over 100 countries worked postwar. The bare space at the lower right is probably reserved for the kitchen sink."

KB4QAA likes this.
  6. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just stunning, especially for the era!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    N2EY likes this.
  7. WC5P

WC5P Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Didn’t OM Gus write a column in 73 Magazine for a year or so?

8. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you guys. I didn't read many magazines in those days, so missed some info. I admire Gus's accomplishments and he was fun to work. He set a high mark for those years. He QSLed from his home station too.

9. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, some really good reading! Thank you for all the links..

10. VK2WP

VK2WP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Fascinating reading, well that is how things were done in the days before the wonders of internet.

Had to sit there with headphones on tuning around and actually listening for the faraway station.

Thanks for the links.