A question about modern TV broadcast signals

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KC0BUS, Nov 28, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-assoc
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That is not a Boob Tube, It is LCD.

I guess the back lighting is a tube. But that don't count.

2. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

3. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Depends what you think DX means. If you mean capturing signals from the other part of the state, with a long boom yagi with high enough gain, you should get 100+ miles depending on the topography. For DX in other terms, you'd be better off to get a FTA satellite receiver and pick up some of the non-church/non-foreign channels. A few are broadcasting in the clear, but on satellite. Even better yet, a lot of local stations stream online and you can watch them for free. Or if you really want to see some neat ones, download Kodi and add-in some plug-ins on your PC and watch worldwide feeds.

And with the CRT tv, you'd need a digital to analog box as many have noted.

There are a few analog-only broadcasts still running as I understand--but VERY few in very rural places.

Good news for the ATV crowd, is that all the old ATV equipment was analog. Newer stuff out of Europe costs a fortune and is digital. I've been able to use Sony and Casio portable TV receivers from the 80s to pickup my own signals. Really helps that we're using analog and those never were digital. And with a converter box and plug-in, I can pickup the local stations on digital too.

4. W6RZ

W6RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

K3RW likes this.
  5. N5WVR

N5WVR Ham Member QRZ Page

Our local reception is very poor because I live in the mountains, and the local broadcast stations are about 30 miles away across two mountain ranges. They are not line of sight.

The website TV Fool lets you input a location and gives you estimates of signal strength at your location. I've found it to be pretty accurate.
    At my location, I had to put the highest-gain UHF yagi I could find on a rotor and add a pre-amp where the coax comes into the house, and it's still somewhat marginal. Putting the pre-amp at the antenna feedpoint would be better, but I didn't want to deal with the complexity.

And this isn't "DX" -- these are my closest local stations!

6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I still don't get the "virtual" channel and when they say one channel on the ID but are on a different channel over-the-air :eek: ????

7. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

That's correct. The virtual channel is how they ID and probably the channel you select on your TV (I have never used OTA DTV so I'm nor certain how that works).
    This is not the same as the actual RF channel used. Usually the virtual channel is the same as the old analog RF channel.

It's no different than programming a repeater memory in any modern VHF/UHF radio and setting it to show a channel number, name or alpha tag instead of the frequency.

8. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm trying to GIVE AWAY my 60 inch Sony LCD (old style ... it's really BIG). Can't get someone to haul it off.

..DOUG
    KD4MOJ

9. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Sony CRT TVs had built-in digital decoders over here, so you didn't need a set-top box . . .

I still managed to get £30 for my huge 32" one 3 years ago.

Roger G3YRO

10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sure there is some FCC rules about this. In Sandy Ago, NBC was "Channel 7." They then moved to "Channel 39" well before the change to digital, and I believe channel 39 is also HD for those that can see the difference. They visually ID as "Channels 7/39." Decoder boxes (designed for old, analog TV sets) pick it up as Channel 39.