ad: ProAudio-1

A New Tarheel screwdriver antenna install on a RV Fifth Wheel

Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by KB3WFV, Jul 23, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W5TWT

W5TWT Ham Member QRZ Page

It is the Tarheel 300 model. 10 to 160 i believe but only 250 to 300 watts

2. WB6PMD

WB6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Now that is a cool setup! I also have a 5th wheel but did not have much luck with the screwdriver. I'm sure your ground plane makes a huge difference. I have been using a PAR End Fedz wire antenna. I run one end from the top of my flag pole at 25 feet and slope it to another pole at about 6 feet. I am very pleased with how well it matches up on everything from 40 to 10 meters. I have to say yours tops anything I have seen in the RV parks! Enjoy your rig. 73 Dennis WB6PMD Dallas, TX

3. K4MMB

K4MMB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for that.
    Of course I would have preferred a long wire because of the expense but could not set any poles in the space.
    And without a doubt the ground plane wires make a huge difference. Now that I have one I’m a true believer in the screwdriver. Add a auto control and it’s a slick rig.

4. KB3WFV

KB3WFV Ham Member QRZ Page

My Thanks to everyone who has replied so far. Below are some direct replies to specific post. In general after two years the Tareheel is still performing very well on top of the camper. It really is a pleasure to use.

Hi N4MU William - No high power... yet. My antenna a Tareheel 200HP it is rated at 1500 watts pep, but for right now the Kenwood TS480HX 200 watt pep is more than enough to out talk the receiver. Camp grounds are really noisy, a lot of interference in the receiver. No sense in having a big signal and not be able to hear

- Brian KB3WFV

Hi W5TWT Rolando - You have a very nice setup as well. You have an advantage over me. Operating while in motion. I could but the first bridge I come to would be a problem.

- Brian KB3WFV

Hi N6OIL Rory - Yes, the roof repair/replacement was paid for by my insurance. The antenna was paid for out of my pocket. All we did was coordinate the roof repair and antenna install to happen at the same time.

- Brian KB3WFV

Hi K4MMB or is it KN4JEV? Paul. Maybe the signature needs to be changed? Anyways you quoted W5TWT William, but addressed me Brian. So. I'm not sure who you are asking, but my antenna is a Tareheel 200 HP 1.8 to 30 MHz rated at 1500 pep. No radials used here. The wire mesh installed under the rubber roof membrane is the ground plane or radials.

- Brian KB3WFV

Hi WB6PMD Dennis - Thank you for the kind words. The wire mesh ground plane makes all the difference in the world. In any vertical antenna set up the metal directly below the antenna is the RF return path to the transmitter. I'll have to give that end fed a try someday. Thanks!

- Brian KB3WFV

Hi again K4MMB or KN4JEV? Paul - Again I'm not sure who is talking to who, but I agree, the performance of properly installed vertical screwdriver antenna impressed me so much that I am saving up money to install an adjustable resonance beam antenna at my home. Fix that signature Paul. :).

- Brian KB3WFV

5. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow guys you all did a beautiful job on your installs. I do a lot of rving and portable operation and use a scorpion antenna but you guys have done a great job mounting both on the hitches and on the roofs.
    I'm hoping, I never have to redo my roof but that is a fabulous idea to use the wire for a ground plane, it can't get any better than that.
    I've seen those Tar Heel mounts used before but never put on the RV rooftop under the membrane like that, good professional work.

The best antenna is one that is "In The AIR & On The AIR"

K0UO Rhombic and Vee Beam Antenna Farm. https://www.k0uo.com