A new solar index number is being published - Thermosphere Climate Index

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE7DXW, Oct 1, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KR3DX

KR3DX Subscriber QRZ Page

The political view was "injected" by the original poster. The topic is about the "Thermosphere Climate Index", the amount of heat in the lower atmosphere, it has nothing to do with the ionosphere or radio wave propagation. Click on the link at the end of the original post, I can't find anything about propagation in that article. In post #8, VE7DXW confirms that the topic is about the temperature of the atmosphere, there is no mention of the ionosphere or HF propagation. 73

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    K5KNM, W4HM, WN1MB and 2 others like this.
  2. VE7DXW

VE7DXW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There is no discovered connection between the TCI and propagation yet, but that might change as data is collected and reverenced to propagation. As our planet heats up the turbulence of the ionosphere will increase and this will have an effect on propagation. So stand by and monitor.... maybe you will be the first that discovers the connection! If you do, make sure you let us know!

Alex

NA4RA likes this.
  3. KR3DX

The ionosphere and the thermosphere do overlap, the thermosphere is heated to thousands of degrees by solar radiation, which causes ionization. The article states that the thermosphere is COOLING due to DECREASED solar radiation. Any changes in the temperature of the troposphere won't significantly affect the temperature of the thermosphere/ionosphere, and therefore won't have an effect on radio propagation.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    VE7DXW likes this.
  4. VE7DXW

But the cooling effect only happens during solar minimum... and weather phenomena like thunderstorms and hurricanes will be more severe with global warming and therefore create a stronger updraft which can effect the ionosphere.

Alex

5. KR3DX

These are all talking points that are propagated by the "global warming" agenda. It has NOTHING to do with ham radio and is completely off topic. It will not "effect" (sic) the ionosphere.

K3XR, K0WJ, W4HM and 2 others like this.
  6. VE7DXW

I do not think we will live long enough to tell...
    But as they say: we did not inherit the planet from our parents, but we borrowed it from our kids!

I still think this is an interesting subject and if you can not accept global warming as a fact then just watch this new index and learn

NA4RA and KT4RK like this.
  7. KA2PBO

KA2PBO Ham Member QRZ Page

I still think this is an interesting subject and if you can not accept global warming as a fact then just watch this new index and learn[/QUOTE]

I will accept global warming when someone can show me what the average temperature of the earth is supposed to be. I don't want an average over the past 30 years. I want the average over the last 4.5 billion years.

KR3DX, AE8F, KD8SKZ and 2 others like this.
  8. VP9KF

VP9KF Ham Member QRZ Page

1200 degrees K. No such thing. It's 1200K.

VE7DXW and WN1MB like this.
  9. VE7DXW

I will accept global warming when someone can show me what the average temperature of the earth is supposed to be. I don't want an average over the past 30 years. I want the average over the last 4.5 billion years.[/QUOTE]

Scientist actually worked out the average temperature overt past 100.000 years. Which is pretty cool using air bubbles in ice found ice cores from the Antarctic. So we so have a good record of where we are in terms of global warming.
    As you might recall earth was a fireball of hot lava for a long time... so to measure the average temperature of the planet for 4.5B years does not make sense.

NA4RA and KT4RK like this.
  10. VE7DXW

1200K = 926.85C = 1700F

I hope this helps....