ad: Flexradio-1

A new Pet Peeve

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by KB1NXE, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Platinum Subscriber

So, I'm not going to lose a lot of sleep over this, but it is irksome...

A few weeks ago, I answered someone's WANTED ad as I did have in almost new condition with the original box and connecting cables being saught. This particular item was an AEA (Timewave) PK-232. I had one wth all the Timewave options (latest ROMs, MBX, PSK, SC) except the USB upgrade (hard as hell getting that 25 Pin connector out - done it on another). This item has been in production CONTINOUSLY for what, 30 years! Sure, upgrades and technology updates have kept it alive, but the basic operation has been with us for a while.

We made the deal and he received his item and was very happy with it (he DID get an excellent deal). Well, (and here's the peeve part) now I'm seemingly on the hook to help him understand and configure an item he has absolutely no idea how to use. From 2,000 miles away! Why would anyone buy an item and have no idea how to use it! Kinda like buying a car without having a drivers license! Oh, I did send him a copy of all the manuals on CD from Timewave. So, that's not on me. Remember, it was a WANTED ad, not a For Sale ad. I would assume more responsibility if I sold it outright. But this gent was looking for one.

Anyway, I did answer his questions (like what cable goes where and what end do I connect to the rig) because I'm willing to help to the point of bother. I also suggested a local HAM.

2. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member

Thanks for posting this;
    You have just made me give consideration to adding an extra line to the next item I sell ANYWHERE....

"I provide no technical support unless I specifically say so in writing."

3. KF6ABU

KF6ABU Ham Member

Helping people usually is not on my list of "pet peeves".

4. K9ASE

K9ASE Ham Member

I wonder if someone told him, "you need one of these."

5. K9XR

K9XR Ham Member

Wouldn't you think that someone who has been a general for at least 25 years would be able to figure it out, especially with the manual. I am assuming he had a computer to read the CD with.

6. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member

I have bought a few things that I did not know how to operate. I have three examples. The first, my first truck. As it was a standard I had to learn how to drive it. The second, my first boat anchor. This took a few hours to get the hang of. The third, my first amplifier. This took only a few moments to get correct after reading the manual and talking to a friend on the phone to make sure I was not doing anything incorrectly.

My mother buys things all of the time that she has no idea how to use, anything electronic. 5000 miles away, across an ocean, in a different time zone, and I am still obligated to talk her through setups.

Another thing, I used host a few video games on the internet. That is a can of worms in itself. Many, many people download things that they do not know how to open, install, use, or troubleshoot. Try explaining that a self extracting zip file is run like a .exe to someone that is not very computer literate, on a daily basis.

I am a very impatient person but such things are very low on my peeve list. That being said, I suppose the ham could have said "hey, I dont know how to use this. If I buy it, will you talk me through using it?" or something to that effect before buying it. In the end, it cant be too big of a peeve as you did still help.

7. N0SYA

N0SYA Ham Member

A ham bought my 703 backpack and a solar panel with gelcell. I sold them just as I got them with no mods. He was upset that I did not include the specific connector for the solar panel or the battery to whatever device he had. If you can't figure out what connectors you need, or you can't solder, best find someone who does.

8. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member

My pet Corgi of 15 years (avatar) died recently. I just got a new one from the shelter. Maybe I should name my new pet PEEVE.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

CIMG8240 (1).JPG

9. K9ASE

K9ASE Ham Member

I'm sorry about your corgi:( I lost mine a few months ago too. Good luck with the new one they are great dogs.

10. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member

Buying one of those 30 year old PK232's for use in Europe would be about as useful as a wooden leg in the 100 metres !

Mel

11. K2NCC

K2NCC XML Subscriber

Really? No one over there uses RTTY, PACTOR, Packet, and the other modes available in that TNC? (even 30 years ago)

12. N8CPA

N8CPA Premium Subscriber

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. I think our adoptee is beagle corgi mix. We just renewed her license, so we're keeping her for another year.

13. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Platinum Subscriber

I'm a fan of bigger dogs. Golden Retrievers specifically. I've had two and would get another tomorrow if my work schedule was different. I'd name him (gotta be a male) Dammit. That way I can yell "Come Here Dammit".

My sister has a cat named Cow. Once, he escaped (normally a house cat). As my Brother In Law was painting the side of the house that day, he'd periodically call out for "Cow". The woman walking down the street was not amused!

Pets are the family you can name what you want, and they'll love you for it!

14. KB3LIX

KB3LIX Ham Member

Sorry to hear about your loss Tom.
    My beloved beagle Ziggy died back in February and I'm still
    upset because of his passing.

We got a new baby too from the shelter,
    a 3 year old female terrier mix, Cory.
    She is a real sweetheart.

100_0159.JPG

15. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member

Sorry to hear about the passing of your pet and congratulations on finding a new companion at the shelter. My Buddy is a Corgi/Chow mix with a touch of Aussie thrown in for good measure. The best dog I have ever had...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.