A Loop in Alaska

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KL7JEF, Sep 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. KL7JEF

KL7JEF Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Day Everyone,

Up until last January, I made do with a 5 band dipole sitting on my apartment buildings roof in the great state of Connecticut. I had great successes in the United States, and reaching out to Western Europe and Western Africa. I could never get any South America or even Caribbean. Now that has all changed. January I moved to Alaska and am retiring in a nice cabin in the bush. I want to see if I can get the Western Pacific, including Australia, New Zealand, Japan, China...I get my electricity from solar, battery, and genset. That being said, I have an FT-897D and lots of land for a big loop antenna. The issue I see is the abundance of spruce, and would like some advice on maybe the best way to tackle it, and how far up would you deem "High Enough". I plan on a big square, or rectangle, depending on how it works out. My cabin sits on a creek that is about 50 feet across, two of the antenna's legs will be traversing over it and two will be running parallel to it. I have never done this before, and would appreciate any ideas as to how I could feasibly get the wire up high? I can assume that the wire will need some insulation from the tree, but what about other branches and such?

Thank you for your time.

Respectfully,

Jeff

2. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Jeff,

This is Steve, down in the Palmer-Wasilla area. I've got several pointers that should be helpful.

I will PM you here on QRZ later this evening, or tomorrow, when time permits. There's lots of telecom work on my plate today/tomorrow.

Welcome to wild Alaska! It's not Connecticut is it! :)

3. KL7JEF

Steve,

Thank you, I appreciate that!

Jeff

4. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Database Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know how you guys deal with the cold and snow...

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

5. KL7JEF

I landed in Fairbanks at 2330 on January 28, 2012 to see snow fog and temperature without wind chill at -60F. That was my "Welcome To Alaska!!!"

6. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah... I KNOW what you mean. Me either... last winter was RECORD SNOWFALL AND A RECORD AVG LOW TEMP from January.

Essentially, Alaska got all the precip that the Lower-48 was supposed to get... the jet-stream shifted way north.

It stunk...

7. KC9VFO

KC9VFO Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the OP is living the dream don't get me wrong. But in the retirement years isn't this the time of life one may want to be near hospitals etc?. just a thought.

8. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Database Subscriber QRZ Page

Seems like most folk gravitate down to south Florida... not to the tundra!

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

9. KF6ABU

KF6ABU Ham Member QRZ Page

I hate it when it gets cold here. I pretty much stay in when it gets below 65, which thankfully is not often.

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That answers the question, "In Alaska, does water go down a drain clockwise, or counter-clockwise?"

Answer: Neither. It just freezes and doesn't go anywhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.