A legend passes...

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by W5BIB, May 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-innov
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-sarc
  1. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  2. K9ASE

K9ASE Ham Member QRZ Page

He still seemed so healthy too. he did a really nice interview with Hot Rod magazine last year.

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

May his Motors live on.

4. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

With better parts he would've made it to 127.

Ford should do something special to honor him--hopefully they will.

5. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think he'd already had a heart & liver transplant back in the 90's.

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think that is the new Mustang. I am sure it will sell.

He was a all time great.

7. KK4AMP

KK4AMP Ham Member QRZ Page

In recognition of his other legendary notability, I'll have to make a pot of chili this weekend.

Goodbye sir, and thank you!

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I honor of CS, going to speed like hell this weekend just for fun.

Damn, I'm really sorry to see him pass. He's one guy I always wanted to meet and never did, and now it's too late.:(

I had a ham friend in my youth who had a Shelby modified AC Cobra. That's a tiny lightweight British sports car with a 429 in it. At the time, it was the only street car ever produced that could go from zero to 100 mph back to zero again in less than ten seconds. That's probably been done a lot since then, but this was in the early 70s.

9. N0WYO

N0WYO Ham Member QRZ Page

That's all she wrote for the Mustang. The only reason it's in production now is that Shelby saved it. Now Ford's about to screw it up again, and that'll be it.

10. WA6TKD

WA6TKD Ham Member QRZ Page

I owned a new 1966 yellow Mustang GT fastback back in the day so I knew all about CS and his Shelby Mustang offerings. I think he was having heart problems even back in the late 60s. He was quite a marketing strong point for Ford at the time. Never met the man, but will morn his passing.

11. AJ4CU

AJ4CU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The world of FORD racing will never be the same without his guidance, I will mourn for some time, I had in fact met him at a SEMA show many years ago.
    I have been and always will be a FORD builder, I have built more Mustangs and Full Size Bronco's than I can remember, the last stang I built (66 2+2 fastback) for the 1/4Mile would do 10.32 all day long and not ever break out...And my Bronco's would climb trees!

R.I.P Carroll

12. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator QRZ Page

Steve,

Yep. Got to sit down with Shel a few times and yack about cars. One of the benefits that came with scribbling for AutoWeek. Great guy.

I also remember talking to a Ford guy back in the '80s who summed up the Detroit experience with Shelby thusly:

"Shel? Hell, I love old Shel. I just wish that every time I talked to him it didn't cost me a million dollars."

Now, when it comes to Cobras (the real ones, not the Mustangs), the 289 was a much better car than the 427. The big block was faster in a straight line, but the small block would outhandle it like crazy. Of course, thanks to the basic shape of the AC Ace, the three pedals were all kind of stacked on top of each other, which required some fancy footwork.

And maybe the best of all (certainly the most valuable), were the Peter Brock-designed Daytona Coupes.

Great days. Great character. Nice man.

Bill

13. WE5TXS

WE5TXS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

He had a heart and kidney transplant. Got the kidney from his son.

14. N1JGE

N1JGE Ham Member QRZ Page

I beleive all Cobras were hand production. The Cobra that did that was a 427 0-100-0 in 13.1 seconds. They didn't care how they got it stop. At the time I had an oppitunity to ride in the last 427 produce so I was told and I can tell you it was fast.

15. N9ZP

N9ZP Ham Member QRZ Page

R.I.P................

16. NI7I

NI7I Ham Member QRZ Page

I had both a big block and small block "ace".. got a ticket ging 160 in a 45 zone on my way up to palomar mt...

I will remember Shelby as the man who beat ferari at the 24 hours.. Not only did you need fancy footwork
    in the Aces, your right leg would just burn right off in the bib block.. It was fast tho.. I agree, the small
    block was a lot more fun.

Lee
    NI7I

17. K9ASE

K9ASE Ham Member QRZ Page

Shelby also did a lot of work with Oldsmobile. But, they died before he did:(

18. KC9RFO

KC9RFO Ham Member QRZ Page

RIP Mr Shelby,
    I'm forever a Ford man and this man was an icon! He will be sadly missed by many! Thanks for all your dedication thought out the years.

19. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I never owned anything with the Shelby name on it, but knew some who did. I was envious.

I'm also sad he's a legend I never had the oppty to meet. I've met a few of my heroes and hope to meet a few more...they're on my Bucket List. But missed CS.

Hey, I did have the oppty to meet, several times, a guy who has caused engineering students fits for five decades or more now...Phil Smith, the guy who developed the Smith Chart.:p He used to visit the Labs (AT&T BTL) fairly often and give talks. What a geek.:p

20. NO2A

NO2A Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked with a guy who had a `67 Mustang Shelby 289. I rode in it once. It sure sounded great too. The new ones are awlsome too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.